4 Wheel Disc Brakes

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

4 Wheel Disc Brakes

Postby johnj » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:57 am

Hello. I am looking into doing a 4 wheel disc setup on my '68. I am going to be running c5 corvette hubs in the rear so I was thinking the c5 rotors with internal parking brake. I figure c5 rotors and calipers in the front also. Is anybody else running a similar setup? Are there brackets available ? I was also thinking it would be a good time to switch over to taller front spindles. Any info you guys can share would be appreciated. Thanks John
John Albera
Mohnton, Pennsylvania
johnj

Re: 4 Wheel Disc Brakes

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:06 pm

What would it take to use C5 spindles?
Aha - here's info on the C5 geometry
https://www.scribd.com/document/53479104/C5-Suspension-Dimensions
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Re: 4 Wheel Disc Brakes

Postby johnj » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:31 am

Classic Performance Parts makes a 1 inch taller than stock chevelle spindle. It uses the C5 corvette sealed bearing assembly and takes the c5 rotor and caliper. I have heard of others adapting the chevelle spindles to the corvair so thought that these might make a good swap. Uses a bolt on steering arm like the chevelle, so a new arm could possibly be made to get the correct geometry to work on the corvair. My thought was use chevelle upper and lower ball joints, resleeving the stock lower control arm and fabbing an adjustable upper.
John Albera
Mohnton, Pennsylvania
johnj

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR