Buying Or Selling Conversions Across Canadian Border

Things Not Related To Listed Forums

Buying Or Selling Conversions Across Canadian Border

Postby Louisville Lanning » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 pm

One of our members had an interest in buying a Canadian Crown Conversion. He had heard rumors about certain problems associated with EPA Regulations that could cause burdensome paperwork and inspections before one could import a car into the United States. We have members who have bought and sold conversions over the years. These cars have moved north across the border and south. Out of curiosity I asked most of our Canadian members to respond to my email regarding their experiences with bringing historic vehicles into the United States. I have cut and pasted the responses that have been received on this topic. I will include all replies that I receive. Your conclusions can be made based on what you read. Ken Klassen has brought numerous cars into Canada; so his comments may spike your interest. Members with experience in buying or selling cars across the US/Canadian border are welcome to report their experiences.

Here are the replies that I received:

1. Joe Acquisto writes:

My comment was not about Canadian cars in general, but for the specific Corvair Conversion we were discussing.

I put in a call to the EPA. I was astonished to discover a live human at the other end, who did not skip a beat when
I described the issue. He was quite willing to help, but could not answer with certainty.

I did get a promise of a call back once he had researched it properly. Probably tomorrow.
Below is a snippet from a US EPA document specific to importation of vehicles into US that I based my previous
comment upon:

(There may be some wiggle room as the text contains apparent contradictions.)

"Section 3: Exclusions
Some vehicles are excluded from the motor vehicle emission requirements of the Clean
Air Act. Reasons for exclusion include vehicle age (i.e., manufactured prior to the regulations),
fuel type, maximum speed, exclusive use for competition or racing, or lack of features associated
with practical street or highway use. Please note that some vehicles excluded from the motor
vehicle requirements may be subject to non-road vehicle and emission standards which have
become effective in recent years.
Vehicles at Least 21 Years Old
A vehicle is exempted if it has been 21 years or more since its original production year
and it is in its original unmodified condition. Vehicles in any condition may be excluded if they
were manufactured prior to the year in which EPA's regulations for the class of vehicle took
effect. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this
exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines and emission control
systems. Upon entry, the importer must file an EPA Form 3520-1 with Customs and declare
code "E" on the form. "

2. Ken Klassen writes:

I take issue with the comment that Joe made about Canadian cars going to the USA

the car in question is not what would be considered a normal build as it has a 2003 LS motor Most converted cars would have very little problems crossing the border if they are period builds

my 68 Kelmark conversion went to the USA with no issues

so to say CANADIAN CARS ARE A PROBLEM IS NOT CORRECT its the engine installed in the car that can be an issue so if the motor is more than 21 years old should not be a issue

as well the best way to bring any car into the USA is for the buyer to bring it across HIMSELF trust me its much easier and eliminates 90% of the red tape

I have bought 12 cars from the USA and imported them to CANADA, if not done correct it can be a hassle but if you do a little research you should not have any problem

3. Steve Wright writes:

I sold a 68 Corvair Kelmark v8 to a guy in the USA last year, i dont think he had any problems, try contacting Chevrolake Motorcars in Ricmond BC, They are the experts at exporting Canadian cars, Steve

4. Paul McCreery writes:

US customs and border should be able to tell you about bringing on an antique car older than 25 years. It should be emission exempt. My son brought one the other way from North Carolina to Ontario and there was no problem . It was however a normal 6 cylinder 62 Corvair and we just had to leave st the border for 48 hours and pay the duty and we were set to go. Possibly the fact that it has a V8 conversion may be treated different although would that not just fall under a hot rod status. My two cents. Thanks. Pail McCreery. Kingston ont.

5. Gord Rexin writes:

I talked to Canadian Customs several times before buying Matt’s car, to see what the issues might be. Had no trouble importing car but had to do lots of work to pass provincial inspections to register it. I suppose for the US buyer a lot depends on State requirements. Good luck with your search,

6. Doug Andress writes:

Hi Guys, on this subject, if you go to borderbuddys.com ( I personally have not used them, but read their feed back column) they say that if car or motor is 25
Years or older then there’s no issue with EPA regs. On their web site they show a contact # 1 604 538 1042 to talk with a expert.
I have imported several Corvair’s north to Canada that were stock ,(not stock now thou) with no Issues.
On a different subject. I looking for a Canadian built 66 Monza or any 2dr titled or not , any tips on location would be great.

More To Follow
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Return to OFF TOPIC