The Spousal Avoidance Unit

Feel Free To Post Details And / Or Photos On Corvair Conversions Projects That Are Under Way

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:42 pm

I got the new piece of sheetmetal welded in the opening in the floor. I used some sound deadening foil backed stuff to cover it all and make it quiet. I went into my stash of very cool stuff upstairs and retrieved a big piece of Lexan. Made my measurements and cut the lexan and set it in place. Now there will be a window on top of the engine compartment and one on the front.........I'm thinking this might be cool............but I have been wrong before

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:44 pm

And John you can use my hanger idea all day long if you wish. I have been banging around on these pipes for over a week trying to see if I can jar them loose...............so far, they have held together.
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:06 pm

I started bolting things in for a last time today. The front brake lines are in............the fuel cell is bolted down along with the pump and the filter. Fans gets bolted in tomorrow along with the radiator hoses....................things are moving along

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Richard Miller » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:39 pm

good progress . I look forward to seeing the front end treatment you are working on ,, grill opening , spoiler , etc ,, thanks for posts
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Dayton Parkville » Mon May 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Today I got the front of the engine compartment all trimmed out and bolted into place. It is everything I thought it would be.................and you can't hide anything

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Wed May 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Just a couple of more things to tidy up and the front will be done. I have decided to use hood pins instead of a latch mechanism...................

really happy with how this turned out

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Richard Miller » Sun May 21, 2017 9:27 am

so a hot day and 38 miles of jammed freeway here in Los Angeles revealed some weakness in my overall cooling scheme .. I need to rethink my setup and I am looking at pics of your build showing lexan engine cover top and front ,, I am curious for more detail , I am guessing it looks to be about 1/4 inch thick ? but mostly I was wondering about black edge ,, is it framed or did you paint the edge? ,, looks finished ,,, thanks
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Dayton Parkville » Mon May 29, 2017 5:06 pm

The Lexan is 1/4 inch thick. I followed the blacked out edge that I had done on the top panel. ......turns out to be 2 inches. I did the same size on the front panel. I used a red 3M scrubby pad on the area to be painted same as I did on the top. I used Dupli Color truck bed liner to paint the panel.

I think it turned out pretty good. No one else is going to get closer than about 3 feet so the details look crisp
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Richard Miller » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:34 pm

the truck bed liner is a great idea ,, I tried it out on some pieces I just fabbed and it looks a lot like the black textured plastic seen in a lot of new cars . thanks for idea
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Dayton Parkville » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:23 am

Richard, I was wondering if the finished product you were making turned out good............inquiring minds want to know :D
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

PreviousNext

Return to PROJECTS