The Spousal Avoidance Unit

Feel Free To Post Details And / Or Photos On Corvair Conversions Projects That Are Under Way

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit

Postby Richard Miller » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:29 am

I previously had a complete engine cover that rose behind the seats and then horizontal along bottom of windows to the rear ,, like most Crown engine covers ,, I had decided that I needed more engine ventilation so I went Chuck Rust style with a vertical bulkhead floor to roof ,, that is what I fabbed and painted with the bedliner spray ,, nice textured finish , easy to apply and quick dry ,, yes I think it looks good , i am now re-doing my Monza panel with Autometer instruments and sprayed it with the bedliner ,, not exactly wrinkle finish like stock but getting good response from those that have seen it .. so here is the kicker to it all ,, when i removed my intake manifold to re-seal it i discovered that i had a bad thermostat that was stuck closed and most likely was the cause of my overheating .. oh well ,, keeps me busy and off the streets,,,, and when are we going to see some of the spousal avoidance unit build ,, you were working on a front radiator setup ?
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:36 am

I just moved all my old photos over to FOTKI after Photobucket screwed everybody. When I was doing this, I found a picture that tells the tale about the engine installation and why I chose the Toro style conversion. This photo shows the extra interior room I was looking for. The seats are all the way back. With the extra 6 inches I got from moving the fuel tank and moving the floor kickup back 6 inches, leg room is not even close to a problem

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:46 pm

After screwing around with this thing all last year, the V8 Corvair is out for it's shakedown run..........During the 80 degree day today, the car runs around 155 to 160 or so. When stopped at a light, it might crawl up to 165 but that's it. As soon as you start to move, the temp is right back in the high 150's.
With the new 2 sided glass enclosure, I was not sure what the sound would be like. as it turns out, the drone from the fans on the mid mounted radiator was the loudest noise. It is actually pleasant inside the car.................except ..................and you knew it was coming.............when you jump on it and go through the gears...................love that sound

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Richard Miller » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:06 pm

that sounds good ,, and yes I think I have outgrown being a teenager but that worm in the brain occasionally takes control and says stand on it ,,,sounds like new radiator setup is doing its job well
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Dayton Parkville » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Well, I got some good news and some bad news...………….
The good news is even on the highway, it runs about 160 degrees on a constant basis and the RPM is around 2350...……………..I'm loving it. after all those years in my hot rod where you couldn't even hear your self think, this thing is actually enjoyable at speed. You can have a conversation with your passenger

OH, the bad news...………….When I got off the expressway, there was a huge bang and what sounded like a box of rocks rolling down a steep hill. We trailed it back to the garage where we took it apart to try and find the problem. I got both axles and mounts off the car so I could next get to the differential. When I popped the cover off the differential, It became obvious that I had never serviced the unit with any kind of lube...…………….OPERATOR ERROR...……….One pinion bearing was still there but the main support bearing which is inside the case was not there. The pinion race was still in place in the diff and the inside race was still on the pinion but the bearing, cage and associated parts were gone...……...dust in the wind...…………..The car is off the road for a while :(
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:42 pm

It has been a strange summer for sure. I should be back at work on the car soon. I have my new differential. I really liked the highway feel the car had so I ordered another set of 3:07 gears but this time with a posi. Still have not installed it but any day now, that will happen.
Since I added the glass front to the engine compartment and having a glass lid, I figured it needed a little more " WOW " factor. So I bought this last night off Ebay………..imagine that …………….a 4 carb Corvair

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Richard Miller » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:25 pm

those four carbs will look way cool ,,,
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Dayton Parkville » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Seeing this sitting here gets me really excited about a 4 Carb Corvair :roll:

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:33 pm

The new dash is in. The Seth Emerson adaptors for the gauges are top notch. The speedometer is a GPS unit

WE put the intake on today. Should be plumbed and together by the end of the day tomorrow...…….should be on the road very soon
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:54 pm

as of today, 4-18-19...……….a couple more hours and this thing will be drivable

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

PreviousNext

Return to PROJECTS