66 Crown In FAIRBORN, OH

Check This Category For Cars That Are For Sale And Cars That Are Wanted.

66 Crown In FAIRBORN, OH

Postby Louisville Lanning » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:30 am

Mike Ward, a non-member of the Registry, has a beautiful Crown coupe for sale that he has been building for the past three years. His phone number is 937-522-1163. He's asking $16,000 for his metallic blue conversion. Here's a link to the Craig's List posting: http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/5642463481.html

Details: NEW 355 ci crate engine. This engine is balanced and blueprinted. It dyno tested at 418 HP and has a two year warranty to a new buyer. Equipped with Chris Will's Adapter, BC Saginaw 4-Speed, 3.08 Positraction Gears, Flaming River Quick Ratio Steering Box, Front Disc Brakes, Tilt Steering Column, Front Cooling, Engine Cover. A 3.55 diff gear is included with sale.

One member reported driving the car at 90 mph. That's not it's top speed, but the owner has never raced or autocrossed this car. It's only been driven as a weekend cruiser.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Re: 66 Crown In Fairborn, OH

Postby Dave Baeckelandt » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:35 pm

On my way to Boston this past Tuesday (June 29th) I stopped in Fairborn and took Mike's V8 Vair for a spin. A lot of fun. Great car.
Dave Baeckelandt

Postby Louisville Lanning » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Since you have first hand knowledge of this conversion, give us some details. Is this a $16,000 car in your opinion? Are there any negative comments to share?
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
Louisville Lanning

Postby Dave Baeckelandt » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Sorry for the delayed posting in response to your Q. [Earlier I had written a draft piece and thought I had saved it for later posting but now I cannot find it.]

Mike is a mechanic by trade. He has spent about 3 years of time doing this V8 Conversion. He wants to sell to start on a new project with a Dodge Dart. He is asking $16k (which seems like a fair price to me).

The conversion is solid. Mike has very good welding and fabricating skills. He purchased a solid 66 Corsa, stripped it down, repainted it midnight blue (Maaco paint job), and installed all new suspension (front and back), interior, and a rebuilt SBC. The tricky part seems to have been the shifting mechanism. The car shifts fine, is quick off the start, and (per Mike) has a top speed of 90 mph. But it protrudes about an inch and a half below the frame of the car. So Mike has had to weld a small 'protector plate' to prevent the cable from being torn lose.
He has not had any trouble with the transaxle or other elements. The fabricated engine cover is easy to remove and did not seem either too hot or too noisy.
Dave Baeckelandt

Postby Calgary Klassen » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:21 pm

Looks very nice and well built I think 90 is a bit shy of what it can do I have had mine over 115 MPH with lots left hehe just don't tell anybody :):)

ken
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Re: 66 Crown In FAIRBORN, OH

Postby Louisville Lanning » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:44 am

Mike Ward's sharp conversion is no longer on the market. Bob Sandrock, one of our members in KY purchased the car this weekend. So glad to see this car in the hands of a member. Bob has been looking for about a year. Good things come to those who wait. I always tell new members to take your time. The right car will show up.

Bob, enjoy your new ride. We hope to see you with it next year at the convention in Pittsburgh.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
Louisville Lanning

Re: 66 Crown In FAIRBORN, OH

Postby Bob Sandrock » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:52 pm

The car is being delivered this Saturday, and I am very anxious to finally get it here. I am very happy with the purchase, and I intend to get it to the National Convention in Pittsburgh next year. Really looking forward to being able to drive and enjoy this car!
Bob Sandrock

Return to CARS FOR SALE & CARS THAT ARE WANTED