Steering Assy. conversion

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

Steering Assy. conversion

Postby troutmch » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:53 am

As most components for the 68/69 steering, Seals, clips, etc., are no longer avail I would like to know if a solid shaft steering assy. from a 65 up can be used.in a 68. If so are there any modifications required?
Charles Troutman Sr.
Phoenix, Az
'68 V8 Monza
troutmch

Re: Steering Assy. conversion

Postby Dobson Coffin » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:21 pm

I believe the earlier 65.5 thru 67 steering system , the one with the coupler by the fuel tank filler tube, can be installed. The main issue will be the under dash "clamp" for the steering column. This will requires some adapting of support holes. I have done the opposite in a race car for safety. IE installed a 68-69 column in a 65 chassis. For that installation, I had to modify the frame near the steering box for clearance for the coupler. I would not use the early 65 one piece shaft assembly , for safety reasons, in a high powered car like a Crown conversion. Unless I modified it to incorporate a Borgeson collapsible section of steering shaft. Or one from another GM car of the Corvair era.
Bob Coffin
Dobson, N.C.
Crown V8 coupe
Dobson Coffin

Re: Steering Assy. conversion

Postby troutmch » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Thanks for the come back Bob.
What I am looking at is a steering assy, that the shaft and steering box is one complete unit and I am hoping not to have to replace the existing column ?????
Charles Troutman Sr.
Phoenix, Az
'68 V8 Monza
troutmch

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR