Front Sway Bar

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

Re: Front Sway Bar

Postby Calgary Klassen » Tue May 31, 2016 11:40 pm

this is from the CCF

Re: Crown Front (anti) sway bars. Which to use?

Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()

Date: February 21, 2013 11:30PM

Hi Gary,

The front bar with the kink near the end is a Crown bar. The other bar with straight arms after the 45 degree bend is an IECO bar. At least that is my recollection. Both Crown and IECO sold 3/4", 7/8", and 1" bars. I bought an IECO 1" set when I was a youngster (and too dumb to know why bigger isn't always necessarily better). The front bar had no kink. My friend bought a 3/4" Crown set. His front bar had the kink.

BTW, if anyone has a 3/4" Crown or IECO front bar that they want to sell or to trade for a Crown 7/8" rear bar, give me a shout.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Options: Reply•Quote•PM•Follow Topic•Report

Re: Crown Front (anti) sway bars. Which to use?

Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()

Date: February 21, 2013 11:52PM

Hi Again,

I think the answer to your question about which one to run depends on whether the front of the car is lowered or not, and if so, how much. The Crown bar with the kink will give a better geometry for the grommets and the eyelet in the end of the bar on a stock height or close=to=stock height car. The IECO bar with the straight arms will give better geometry for a significantly lowered car.

With the front bar on its body mounts, put the link with grommets into the bar ends without attaching them to the brackets in the lower arms. When the car is sitting on it tires look at the attitude of the links. Do they point straight up at the brackets in the lower arms? If they do, that bar is a good candidate for your car. If they point somewhat forward or backward, then not such a good candidate.

A Crown bar in a significantly lowered car will have the links pointing backwards slightly. An IECO bar in a stock height car will have them pointing forward slightly. If you use the IECO bar watch out for contact between the bar and the trailing edge of the lower arm during full extension of the suspension. If the links are too short or the grommets too compressed, you may get contact there. Be sure to use polyurethane bushings and grommets for best responsiveness.

Jonathan Knapp
Seattle, WA
'66 Corsa Autocrosser
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Re: Front Sway Bar

Postby scooperman » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:27 am

I recently found that same post on the CCF and posted a question. I dont have a Crown or IECO sway bar and might try making my own sway bar, but I need to check a dimension and currently my entire front suspension is out of the car and in pieces. Can anybody tell me distance between the ends of their sway bar, i.e the tip-to-tip (end link-to-end link) distance? Thanks, John.
John Rowland
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
scooperman

Previous

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR