Front Sway Bar

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

Front Sway Bar

Postby ctcarguy » Mon May 02, 2016 8:41 am

I am putting the front swaybar back in and having a problem. I replaced the draglink bushings and made sure that I did not upset the adjustment so I could drive the car to get it aligned. I also purchased new swaybar links. The problem is that the bar seems to be too far back for the link to be near vertical. They are pitched back at least 2". The brackets for link on top that bolt to the draglink make it impossible to tighten the link when bolting it to the bar last. I assume the link needs to be installed on the bar and bracket and then the bracket bolted in place but then I do not think I can bolt the bar to the body.

Could the draglink be too far forward with the new bushings? :?

Larry
65 Crown
65 Monza Convertible
56 T'Bird
67 Grand Prix Convertible
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Re: Front Sway Bar

Postby Richard Miller » Mon May 16, 2016 4:43 pm

what is availability of crown type front sway bar ? I have frontend out for some work , currently has stock front bar , I have read that crown bar works better .
I just checked clarks and I don't see any available front bars . is there another source for front sway bars for LM ?
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby ctcarguy » Wed May 18, 2016 8:23 pm

I finally got around to taking some pictures. Something looks wrong?? The end links are being pulled way back by the sway bar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby Richard Miller » Thu May 19, 2016 12:21 pm

agreed that looks seriously wrong .. the ends of that bar look like they would snag all kinds of road junk hanging that low , and of course the bar should be close to level.
I have the stock bar which clamps to the back side of the arm ,, but that supposedly causes twist in the lower arm .. I cant see how the severe angle in your pics is in any way correct .. lets hope some knowledge is forthcoming about front sway bars .. sorry I don't have answer for you
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby ctcarguy » Thu May 19, 2016 1:57 pm

What is strange is that this is the bar I removed? Just for ha ha, I wonder if the front and rear sway bar got switched? We marked them as we took them off. I will take a look at how the rear bar sets.
Larry
65 Crown 327 - Built in 1970
65 Monza Convertible (Stock - for sale)
56 Thunderbird
67 Pontiac Grand Prix Convertible - going to BJ Auction
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby sherwood park rexin » Thu May 19, 2016 9:44 pm

That front bar looks like my rear bar, after the initial bend it is straight. My front bar has a bend to flatten it out just behind the link. Hope that make sense, I'm at the lake so no pics.
Gord
sherwood park rexin

Postby ctcarguy » Fri May 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Looked again today and took another picture. The rear sway bar is a perfect fit. The ends are right angled which would not work in the front. The front bar looks like it needs to be mounted about 2" lower to work but I do not remember or can find any sort of spacer. This is really strange!

What came out should go in!! The attached picture has better detail than the others. I cannot see how this worked before! Ideas??
Larry in Connecticut
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby sherwood park rexin » Mon May 30, 2016 12:59 pm

I took some photos today of my front suspension showing the crown sway bar, steering arm, crossmember etc. Not very good on computers, files too large to send. I could email them to someone if they're interested. I was told all the gold anolized parts are crown parts. Also a couple more shots of the ford power steering rack, somewhere in the past I posted the part #.
Gord
sherwood park rexin

Postby ctcarguy » Mon May 30, 2016 1:38 pm

sherwood park rexin wrote:I took some photos today of my front suspension showing the crown sway bar, steering arm, crossmember etc. Not very good on computers, files too large to send. I could email them to someone if they're interested. I was told all the gold anolized parts are crown parts. Also a couple more shots of the ford power steering rack, somewhere in the past I posted the part #.
Gord

Send the pictures to ctcarguy@gmail.com. Larry
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby Rick Andersen » Tue May 31, 2016 7:36 am

You can email them to me and I'll post them.

rick@friendlychevrolet.us
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Next

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR