Steering Wheel

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

Steering Wheel

Postby ctcarguy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:57 am

Well my 65 made one road trip after 2 years of updating and only a few very small bugs to take care of. The current steering wheel is about 12.5" with a 3 bolt mounting. I am sure it is quite old. I am thinking of either replacing it with a D shaped wheel or install a quick release. The diameter of the current wheel is too small to drive comfortably. Plus the horn button spacers are worn out so the horn says on if plugged in. I have Fiero seats now and am changing to a set from a Miata. Any tips on changing the seats?

Larry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ctcarguy

Re: Steering Wheel

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:05 am

Looks like the wheel in mine. Yeah, with quick steer arms, the steering effort is substantial. Looks like the chrome on your wheel is pretty good - if so, I'd be interested in it.
Re seats - afik, just look at where you want your butt to be, and set the seats up to match that.
Fore-aft positioning of the adjusters depends on your engine enclosure, etc. I tried to set mine at mid-range, so my long-legged friend can drive it.

I just tried to get myself directly behind the steering wheel, and picked a reasonable mounting height.
Ideally, if the seats don't have a height adjustment built in, then provide some adjustment in your mounts - even if mounting with spacers that you can remove or add to, to alter height and seat angle.

Yeah, no exotic insights here.

What year Miata seats? What kind of adjustments do they have?

regards
Jay
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:29 am

Another post just reminded me - the dish of the steering wheel will affect where you want the seat.
The diameter may affect how high you want it.
Your personal proportions - long legs? long torso/short legs? long arms/short legs?
will affect where you want everything.

Mock everything up and test, to see what works for you.
fwiw
Jay
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby pbeck » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:00 pm

I had the same steering wheel in mine. I added a quick release and that made getting in and out much easier. Then last year I changed to a Grant wheel with very little dish, I think 1". Quite a change from the 3 1/2" previous. That added a crazy amount of clearance. Didn"t make the steering any easier though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby ctcarguy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:11 pm

What did you use for a wheel release? I am also looking at possibly putting in a new tilt wheel column. I have an 87 Vette and I have to tilt the wheel up to get in easily. I can get in the Vair but it is not graceful!

Larry
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR