Steering Column

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

Steering Column

Postby ctcarguy » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:27 pm

Does anyone make a tilt steering column to fit a 65? Seems to me that I could use a larger steering wheel (mine is 12.5") if I could tilt it up. I have an 87 Corvette and tilting the wheel makes it a lot easier to get in and out. (Loosing a few pounds would help too!)
Larry in CT
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Re: Steering Column

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:18 pm

Well, tilt columns were available in some 'Vairs.
One of those might be easiest.
Beyond that, there are millions of cars in the salvage yards with tilt columns...
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby 65CrownV8 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 pm

I realize this is an old post, but I wanted to clarify something. The original post was about a tilt steering column, however, the follow-up post erroneously stated some Corvairs came with tilt columns. I believe he was referring to the telescoping steering column, NOT a tilt column.
George D. Jones
65CrownV8
East Orlando, FL
65 Crown V8 Convertible
65CrownV8

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:14 pm

oops - only telescope but not tilt?

sorry 'bout that!

Funny, a lot of modern cars have tilt but no telescope!
Anyway, lots of good goodies in the salvage yards - and the modern units seem to be pretty light compared to the old stuff.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Richard Miller » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:02 pm

I previously installed an Ididit tilt column in my Malibu .. I like the tilt feature a lot and thought of putting one in the Corvair ,, BUT ,, the tilt mechanism and turn signals make the large diameter portion of the column fairly long ,, I wanted to keep my steering wheel near the dash , I am not a NASCAR driver and don't like it up next to my chest ,, so I used a stainless column from Speedway motors ,, ball bearing , polished stainless column , no need for adapter for a common 3 bolt wheel ,, 28 inch length ,, easy install , used a collapsible column mount at floor ( basically an o-ring sandwiched between 2 flanges , friction grip to column) and it puts my wheel about 2 inches from dash ,,no turn signals ,, installed a separate switch on my shifter for that ,, next is flat bottom wheel as Rick suggested in another thread..
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:29 am

I used a 31 inch IDIDIT Column in my 65. The column drop and the bolt in flange at the bottom were the only changes. I only ordered the column with the turn signals and emergency flashers. I'm not sure why I was so dumb not to order the bright lights switch in the column..............They are also available with cruise control and even wipers. I'll look around and see if I can find some pictures
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby 66VairV8 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Seth Emerson is offering a tilt Ididit that he has custom made to fit the Corvair. I have a '66 and ordered one from Seth. My column has been abused so the horn and return signal off are not usable. The new tilt column also has 4 way flashers. I got the original 2 connectors and will splice them into the new columns harness, then a consent +12 wire feed needs to be tied into the 4 way flasher. Another option is to put a quick steering wheel disconnect onto your column so you can remove the wheel when exiting the car. Nice security feature also. Check out the Corvaircenter.com website. It is offered by Matt the moderator. I think it is $75. The Ididit will cost about $700.
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,1004943
Jeff
Jeff Rand
Wildomar, Ca
'66 Crown Monza
'65 Corsa
'65 Corsa Convertible
'68 Monza Convertible 140 4 speed
'87 Buick GN
66VairV8

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR