Selecting a Rack and pinion unit, what about power?

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

Selecting a Rack and pinion unit, what about power?

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:34 am

I know there's some info in other threads, but it is scattered. - I'm wondering about r&p (rack and pinion) units -
What's preferable for front steer?
what's good for rear steer?

If front steer, what steering arms to correct Ackerman, or at least reduce the problem?
Since a conversion to r&p would certainly include disk brakes, there would be room for major changes in steering arms.
While the stock linkage may provide some ackerman, that's usually replaced by the r&p unit. That would lose any ackerman correction that the factory linkage provided.

I saw a pic of someone's fabbed arms that were straight - did not point to inside or outside. (should be easy to make, anyhow!)
Even parallel steer should be better than reverse ackerman. (the front steer arms point inward, yielding reverse ackerman with r&p)

Over the years, we see car reviewed as having good steering feel or complete lack of it. How much is the bare r&p unit?
What about epas? I see some column units, and some r&p with epas built in. if doing a fresh conversion, the single unit might be easier.
Thoughts?
(better - experience!?)
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Re: Selecting a Rack and pinion unit, what about power?

Postby Louisville Lanning » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:20 pm

The Registry guys who probably know the most about R&P steering are Frank Parker and Bill Bertram. Frank and Bill have conferred with each other on this topic. Frank has the latest and greatest set up. Bill sold his car to Mark Allen.

If you are interested in electric steering, send me an email and I can place you in contact with a member who has a set up available. He chooses not to advertise.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR