front springs

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

front springs

Postby Dennis Gauerke » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:11 pm

I'm finishing my '67 crown style v8 car with front radiator. It has the original springs. The rear height stayed about the same but the front came down about 3". Clarks lists a mid engine v8 front spring and some of you are using an hd spring. Can I expect to raise the front 1" or 2" with either of these springs?
Dennis Gauerke

Re: front springs

Postby Louisville Lanning » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Hopefully some our other experts will weigh in on this topic. I don't have any direct experience with your issue, but let me say this. A Corvair with standard springs will ride higher than one with HD springs designed for the same application as I remember. So I wouldn't expect a HD Corvair front spring to raise your car up as high as you expect. If you haven't added much extra weight to the front, Clark's should be able to tell you the ride height for a new HD front spring. Maybe the answer is to lower the rear spring height.

Good luck with this
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Re: front springs

Postby Dennis Gauerke » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:13 am

The front end came down about 3" to 3 1/2" from stock. I am hoping to raise it about 1" or 1 1 /2 " to get the lower a arms more parallel to the ground. I might lower the rear a little after fixing the front.
Dennis Gauerke

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR