Aftermarket Front Suspension

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

Aftermarket Front Suspension

Postby jbjr37 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:53 pm

I am wondering why nobody has attempted to use performance Upper and lower A-Arms. I know that we will never find them searching on the internet, but surely GM used the same ones that went on another car, maybe. Does anyone know if any other car uses the same size upper and lower? Would any of the kits online bolt in? Even with a little modification if necessary.
John Bennett
San Dimas, CA USA
jbjr37

Re: Aftermarket Front Suspension

Postby Doug Andress » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 pm

Great question, anybody ?
Doug Andress
Madeira Park B.C.
'65 / Turbo Buick V6
325-4l Transaxle, 3.36 ratio
Front mounted radiator
Doug Andress

Postby Richard Miller » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:26 pm

I think the corvair is pretty much unique in chevy lineup ,, Camaro , chevelle , and nova are all different ,, early chevy2 is also different ,, I have tried to find if ball joints for early chevy2 are similar but no luck finding info so far ,, I have compared a 1969 Z/28 spindle to my 65 corvair and it is much the same ,, different ball joints and steering arm mount ,, some people have changed the ball joints to match and have used Camaro or later S10 spindles ,, geometry of corvair is one of the better for its time ,,depending on what you plan to do a rebuild is all it really needs for street use ,, but definitely suggest a disc brake conversion unless you are going for a concours restoration which I doubt you would be on this forum for .. it is possible using parts from Speedway to build your own a-arms
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 pm

Ok - "performance" - what do you mean by that?

What aspects of the suspension would you like to change or improve?

If you want more negative camber gain, taller spindles will do that - lots of ways to accomplish, usually a bonus of going to front disks.
Do you want more anti-dive? You get that by changing the angle of the upper control arm pivots.
Maybe the hard core racers use fabricated control arms and bigger ball joints, don't know.

It always goes back to - what do you want to accomplish?
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR