Dobbertin C5 Corvette Rear Suspension Article

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

Dobbertin C5 Corvette Rear Suspension Article

Postby Rick Andersen » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:58 am

Fellow member, Billy Cannon supplied this magazine article from Car Craft's August issue. This article fits right in with what Bob Depalo is doing to Mark Allen's car. The article even mentions Crown Manufacturing's V-8 Corvair.

It looks like many future Corvair V-8 conversions will be moving in the direction of the Corvette C5 setup reported on in this article. This Dobbertin Corvette Interface Suspension Adapter System seems to have a lot of potential for anyone looking to build a mid-engine setup for their car or truck.

http://www.weebly.com/editor/uploads/2/2/2/9/22293452/840320844283893929_v8_corvair_application_2018-08-01_car_craft.pdf

John Lanning
President
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Re: Dobbertin C5 Corvette Rear Suspension Article

Postby Richard Miller » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Dobbertin was very influential in the beginning of the Pro-street movement with some beautiful over-the-top cars ,, this setup will be good for anyone wanting to install C5 IRS into their car, but I don't believe it will bring about many more mid-engine cars. Most of the popular cars don't have the proportions to allow room for a mid engine. Chevelle is mentioned as having enough room but I don't believe most builders of those will go for it and Camaros don't have enough room. I can see the IRS being used with a front engine in those cars. This will be useful to those members among us who want the C5 setup. I originally envisioned my car as eventually evolving to such a setup but my modified trailing arms work well enough. I don't think I will bother. Note that Mike Levine is using trailing arms on his race car successfully. Nice pieces if you want the C5 IRS but I don't see that as necessary for a nice street driven Corv-8 and Jeff Smith has often mentioned V8 corvairs in his articles, but knows we are not mainstream and don't sell magazines.
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Re: Dobbertin C5 Corvette Rear Suspension Article

Postby Rick Andersen » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:33 pm

Very cool! "Think of this as the old Crown Engineering mid-engine V8 Corvair conversion produced with 21st-century skills and standards, and you may see where this is headed." This is exactly what I now see with the conversions - and upgrades - that you guys are building! Excellent work!

Howard Trevor
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR