Power brake booster mounting

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

Power brake booster mounting

Postby pbeck » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Has anyone done a 90 degree mount for their booster and master cylinder ? I'm pretty sure I have seen that modification on someone's car just can't remember whose. I'm going to have to replace my master cylinder anyway so figured just as well take it to the next step.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Re: Power brake booster mounting

Postby Richard Miller » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:32 pm

are you going to try to put it under the dash ? or just at 90 in the trunk area ? google search for 90 degree master cylinder mount turns up a lot of options for under dash mounting ,,popular in street rods ,, Speedway is one source ,, I imagine that would be difficult to check fluid level ,,,now if you want to turn it sideways under the hood ,, I remembered a van had that setup ,, turns out it was a dodge ,, a search found threads on jalopy journal ,, but it wouldn't load ..but my search string was VAN 90 DEGREE MASTER CYLINDER MOUNT ,,I have seen master and booster straight out under hood ,, do you have interference going straight forward ? I think it was a "master power setup " IIRC
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Goodman Alabama » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:50 pm

Paul, David Baeckelandt has a 90 degree setup in his car, originally built by Bob Brownell... not sure if the spelling is correct on the builder.
65 Corsa Crown Coupe
Goodman Alabama

Postby pbeck » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:49 pm

Thanks to those that replied. I think I'll be able to mount the booster and master cylinder in a normal configuration. I have all the parts that I think I'll need but haven't mocked it up yet. The combination is just a bit over 12" so I should have room.
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby pbeck » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:26 pm

I completed the boosted/master cylinder mount. Had to source an adapter from Speedway Motors to go from two bolt mount on the front firewall to four bolt mount on the booster. I decided to go with an electric vacuum pump, mounted on the front cross member. It's a vane style pump with a built in storage container and is supposed to be considerably quieter than some others. At least that eliminates the issue of running vacuum line from the engine forward. I'll get some pictures posted soon.
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Doug Andress » Sun May 16, 2021 6:49 pm

Paul it looks like we are on the same page with booster install, how did it workout ?
Did you install a proportioning valve or is it even necessary ? I have disks on all corners
With 10” rotors, kind of thinking the front might lock up first . Any feedback will help.

Doug .
Doug Andress
Madeira Park B.C.
'65 / Turbo Buick V6
325-4l Transaxle, 3.36 ratio
Front mounted radiator
Doug Andress

Postby pbeck » Thu May 27, 2021 8:10 pm

Doug,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. MiniConvention and then catching up at home when I got back................
I'm pretty satisfied with my installation. I did have to do some metal stretching for clearence under the booster but some body hammer took care of that. I'm also running disc brakes front and rear,
S10 4wd rotors and calipers in the front and 2004 C5 discs and calipers in the rear. I run a adjustable valve on the front brakes and a residual pressure valve on the rear line (8 lb IIRC ). That was what I read was recommended. (although it might have been. 10 lb.) At least with the adjustable valve on the front, you can change your setup with some trial and error rather than depending on out of the box to be right.
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR