Shocks and master cylinders

Systems, Components, Upgrades and Modifications

Shocks and master cylinders

Postby Mark Moyer » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:43 pm

Postby Mark Moyer ยป Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:21 am

What shocks do you recommend for the Crown car? I can see that the bushings are shot on mine.

And, I want to replace the 60s truck brake/clutch master with a Vair dual brake master (staying w drum brakes for now) and a separate master for clutch. Is there space to mount both and what master is recommended for the clutch?
Mark Moyer
Wildwood, Missouri
Mark Moyer

Re: Shocks and master cylinders

Postby Richard Miller » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:47 pm

I used Clarks house brand shocks ,,working okay for me ..

master cylinder for clutch ..I have seen a clutch master mounted just to the left (as you stand at front of car looking in) passenger side if you will ..of the brake master ..go to registry and look at Russ Brandenberg car ,,I wonder if that doesn't utilize the second hole that the chevy truck MC originally had ,,that would be simple to do ..

on my car I mounted the clutch master near center of car ,,you can see a "peak" in the metal at that point ,,behind it inside is the arm that the clutch cable hooked to .
I cut the shaft for clutch ,rotated and welded it so that arm pointed down , and used it to operate clutch slave ,,add some bracing or reinforcement to firewall to stop flex ..again a picture worth a look ..go to my member page and there is a picture under the dash ,,will be clear what I mean ,,and then you can see the clutch master in the trunk in some other pics ..

I used a CNC brand master from McKenzie's ,,similar to tilton or wilwood race type cylinders ,,small and light ..available in different bore sizes

but if you can mount one in the second hole from the truck cylinder that would seem to be a quick and easy ,,

updating to the dual brake master is an excellent idea and worth a little extra work
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Mark Moyer » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:42 pm

Thanks. I'll check out your photos and Russ's car
Mark Moyer
Wildwood, Missouri
Mark Moyer

Postby Mark Moyer » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:10 pm

Checked out the photos, thanks. One question: you said you cut the clutch shaft so it operated the clutch slave. Did you mean clutch master? My slave cylinder is at the rear of the car.
Mark Moyer
Wildwood, Missouri
Mark Moyer

Postby Richard Miller » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:14 am

my bad , that should read master cylinder .good catch
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Return to BRAKES, SUSPENSION AND STEERING GEAR