adding wiring circuts

Wiring Harnesses, Instrument Clusters & Gages, Alternators, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights

adding wiring circuts

Postby Calgary Klassen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:43 am

I have been asked to post a little about my rewire of my Crown car

The original wiring In my car was marginal at best so I modified it to a more modern standard and functionality

I use a lot of the advice and recommendations found at http://www.madelectrical.com/

I find this site to be great for most of the ills of our old cars and it saves the brain damage of a total rewire in general the factory wiring system is best for all cars basic needs,
as you add options a simple addition to the stock system is better than a redo of the whole car

I modified my charging, lighting, and starting system in the stock harness and for my additions I added a painless 7 circuit panel to my car and still have the ability add more with little or no hassel

if you have questions feel free to email me and ill try to assist the best I can but seriously read through the information at http://www.madelectrical.com/ you wont regret it

I have used the same type of system upgrades to most of my Buicks as well so I know these work and work well

kkklassen@shaw.ca

Ken Klassen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Re: adding wiring circuts

Postby Russ » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:58 pm

I am putting a Painless wiring kit in my car at this time. They do an excellent job. I brought a larger kit so I can put in power windows and a Vintage air system in later. The one thing that they didn't tell you is to make sure you get a male and female plug for your dash, engine and what ever else you might want to take out or replace and not have to rewire them or forget what wire went where. Pictures are the best. Take them even if you don't think you need them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russ Brandenburg
V8 Registry Founding Father
Russ

Postby pbeck » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:30 pm

Good advice Russ. I used a trunk mount Quick Wire Kit and used GM style Weatherpak connectors for nearly everything. Was a little more work going together, but pulling something to check is real easy. Plus the connectors are generally located in someplace easy to access. I did a lot of circuit modification to include things not originally in the wiring plan.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Calgary Klassen » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:30 pm

Yes Russ that's the way to go if you are starting from junk but mine was all good and only needed an improvement not a complete change. With the ad on circuits and the changes outlined in Madd wiring it seriously made it 1,000% better and easy to repair if ever needed for a fraction of the cost, and time wise took only a few days and the car sill works as it was intended but better

Ken
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Postby Cumming Levine » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 am

Ive never used an aftermarket wiring kit. All of my cars over the years have been very simple,Mechanical fuel pump.One wire HEI ignition,One wire Alternater.
Mechanical oil presure gauge with -4 an hose. Mechanical Water temp,volt meter and a Tach if its a Corsa dash. I use the heater blower switch to run the cooling fans and thats about it.I did put electric rear windows in one, that was a nice touch,a company made a motor that just bolted down over the window crank splined shaft.Made it very easy.
If your going EFI and and updated gauges etc I can see the Painless type wiring to be a big help. Mike
Mike Levine
Cumming Levine

Postby Cumming Levine » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:27 am

Im bringing the rear engine v8 to the workshop to deliver to its new owner. very cool car with alot of nice Old school engineering. Mike
Mike Levine
Cumming Levine

Return to ELECTRICAL