Electrical FIRE

Wiring Harnesses, Instrument Clusters & Gages, Alternators, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights

Electrical FIRE

Postby ctcarguy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:13 pm

I finally got my V8Vair ready for the road (still needs some cosmetic stuff) only to have an electrical fire. Background: The voltage meter was reading 16V so I replaced the voltage regulator. The gauge seemed fine at first at 13+ volts but later was down to 11v when running. Could the VR be hooked up backwards? I think the connector could go on either way. I put it on as it was at rest so it should be correct. I would think twisting it would be wrong.

The thin wire from the battery is burnt and the wire to the alternator went up in smoke. After moving the HOT (temp) wires around and reconnecting the bare burnt wire at the battery (melted the insulated screw connection off completely), I was able to make it home without more smoke. I started to unwrap the wires to see which ones were damaged but ran out of time. After reconnecting the small wire the engine starts and runs and the gauges work. I will need to replace the wires. Should I put a main system fuse or circuit breaker near the battery?

Damn - I was hoping to drive the car to the last show of the season tomorrow. Would have been nice after working on the Vair for almost 2 years. Not to be.
Larry
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Re: Electrical FIRE

Postby Richard Miller » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:08 pm

I run a one wire so no need for separate VR , and no experience with same ,, but I will throw out this one thing that crossed my mind ,, I was looking at your dash and you said that you had LED for generator light ,, I know that with VR the gen light is used to start charging and needs to be of a certain size .. could it be that the LED is not right for use with VR ? anyone out there with thoughts on this ,, I hate electrical problems for first MANY trips I couldn't get more than a mile from home without a fuse blowing .. re: a fuse ,, I think you probably have a fusible link which would be a thin wire in your harness ,, is that the one that melted ?
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby ctcarguy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:02 am

Thanks for the response. I doubt the LED is part of the problem since it has been in the car for sometime. I am starting to peel back the tape and will hopefully find the spot that shorted. An interesting observation is that I started the car to move it without a problem and noticed that I had not plugged the voltage regulator back in after unwrapping the wires. I did not note the voltage gauge reading.

My guess is that in securing the wires where they go over the rear wheel, there is a sharp edge that was missed. The wires are about 6" from the exhaust but I wrapped the exhaust in that area. I may wrap the wires in exhaust wrap as well. There is a lot more tape to unwrap and see if any adjoining wires are damaged.

These cars seem to be a never ending challenge but when they run/drive, its all worth it.
Larry
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby ctcarguy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:47 am

Update:
I installed a 1 wire, 100 amp alternator and all new wires that burned. I looked for a hot spot for where the wires shorted but could not fine any. The end result is an electrical charging system that works as designed. One less issue to work on. Next is the engine cover. I have an extra front hood that I may modify to fit. I may actually get the car to one show this year.
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Return to ELECTRICAL