1/4 Mile Times

Statistics and Personal Experiences

1/4 Mile Times

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed May 06, 2015 9:27 pm

The V8 Registry has made arrangements for 1/4 mile drag races at the upcoming Knoxville Convention. In preparation for those races, I was curious what kind of times V8 Registry members have hit in the past. If my memory serves me correctly, Ron Barbee has hit some mid 11's with his twin turbo V8 Vair. I also know that Mike Meyers's cars have been down the 1/4, but I don't know what the times looked like. If I remember correctly, President Lanning ran his car in the mid 14s. I'm guessing that Treasurer Beck's car has looked like a blaze of orange running down the strip. On top of all that, I can only imagine that either of my cars would run in the mid to high 9s - if there was a drag strip close enough to find out (Ha!)

My question is, how many of us have run our cars down a dragstrip - and what are the times? I would guess that most normal Crown cars would run in the 13 to 14 second range. Please speak up and let us know how you have done. I am planning to take my white coupe out to Pacific Raceway the same night as the Knoxville drag night to see if I can take one or all the trophies away from the convention guys. I'm guessing that the other Pacific Northwest guys won't dare to show up!
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Re: 1/4 Mile Times

Postby Dayton Parkville » Thu May 07, 2015 7:19 am

I have not taken mine done the strip yet but plan on doing so once it is finally on the road and working correctly. My car is in the 3,000 lb range ( engine and transaxle weighs in at around 900 lbs ). With approx. 425 HP, it should be low 13 / high 12 second range. I would think a 350 HP crown should be mid to high 12's simply do to less weight.
I look forward to hearing from others as to their times. I do remember one guy in Georgia in a early model turbo car was running something like low 12's very close to the record for his stock class.
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Louisville Lanning » Wed May 13, 2015 10:13 pm

It looks like Vice-President Rick Andersen is challenging the membership based on his comments about his 'potential' 1/4 mile ET in his conversion. I have driven Rick's car and will concede that it is very quick. Not sure that he can nail a time under 10 seconds. I guess we will find out. Mark Allen bought Bill Bertram's V-6 powered conversion, which I have also driven and although I didn't take either down the 1/4 mile, I sense that Mark's car may have a slight edge.

My conversion does not make a great showing on a 1/4 mile track because conversions with more horsepower will catch me near the end. My only 1/4 mile run resulted in an ET of 14.6 sec. Not terrible for a 3000 pound Corvair with a 200 HP engine. The Caddy engine has great low end torque and the tires just dig in for a quick start. I have spent more time on 1/8 mile tracks. At a recent local 'Test-N-Tune night, I was able to extract an ET of 9.58 seconds at 71.87 mph.

Let's see some other results posted per Rick's prompting.

For those planning to bring your conversions to Knoxville and compete at the Tuesday Drag Strip event, I encourage you to sign up right now. The Northeast Corvair Council is cosponsorsing this event with us and is handling the registration. They would appreciate if everyone would send their $69.00 early. They have deposits to make and funds start running short when you have several events scheduled for the summer. So if you are coming, get registered. More info will be posted next week in an email to members.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby pbeck » Thu May 14, 2015 8:53 pm

From what I saw online, Knoxville Dragstrip is an 1/8th mile strip. Could be wrong.
Good 1/8th mile times should probably be 9.0 sec or better, better times 7.50, GREAT times 7.0-6.0. The quickest I've seen for a door slammer was under 3.90 . That's blazin......
Personally, I'm just hoping to get a good base line and then do a little nitrous tuning.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Pasco Barbee » Sun May 31, 2015 2:19 pm

Hi Guys/Gals
Ron Barbee's V8 Vair did run 131.22 mph at 11.539 sec on the Spokane International Raceway during the"GoodGuys"run what ya Brung" Friday night. Also 7.59 sec @ 100 mph at the Walla Walla 1/8 mile track. The vehicle weight is 2910 lb and the weight distribution is 50/50. I was running Goodyear street/strip 17in/10.5 racing tires which I drove to the strip and home. The vair is now going thru an upgrade to a Holley "Dominator" cpu allowing better increased boost (16 lb) dynamic mixture control based on two air/fuel sensors. I may be able to do a bit better this year. We shall see. Please race on a strip with emergency oversight for your future health.
Love ya'll
build yer vair
Barbee
Ron Barbee
Pasco, Washington
Pasco Barbee

Postby v8vair » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:20 pm

In 04 mine with the 383,Powerglide,3600 stall convertor,3.55 and BFG drag radials did 11.44@118. The best the 4 speed did was 12.05@119mph Mike
Mike Levine
v8vair

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:27 pm

I took mine to Irwindale's drag strip.
I couldn't run because -
they want external door handles
you need to roll the windows up or have window net/arm restraints. I don't have side windows.
they could probably have found other things - no reverse lockout, no parking brake, etc., etc.

so - I need to find a really empty stretch of road sometime?
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby pbeck » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:26 pm

Ran at Muncie Dragway during the Corvair Olympics. Did 3 runs on engine only. Best time was 14.21@98.** mph. This is a 350 bored to 358, 394 flywheel hp, powerglide trans.,3000 stall converter , C5 diff. with 3.15 gears, weight approx. 3100#.
Opened up the bottle and the best pass with 100hp nozzles was 12.53@111.**. Nice pickup. I got beat in the first roundcause I was switching plugs instead of switching bottles. Pressure was down and only ran in the mid 13s on a 12.60 dial. Still was within .30 of the other lane. Engine was making some noise on the return road, some obvious exhaust leak and what sounds a little like a rod bearing complaining. Haven't done any checking yet but should know something after this weekend. I have, however, located an 2011 aluminum 5.3L that might be available...................... 8-)
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Button Groton » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:42 pm

Fun hanging with you Paul & John and everyone else at the Olympics.
My best time was my first of 8 runs at 13.495 @ 102.3 mph. This is an original Crown car with a 350 LT 1 engine, 3.08 rear gear.
I left the line very easy but I think I was trying hard all the way down the track. This was the 2nd time I have drag raced and it was a blast!!
I need to practice the light/reaction some more before next time. I think with a lower gear and more practice I could shave a second or more off my time.
Dave B
David Button
Groton NY
1966 Crown V8 - since 1971.
My YouTube videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCb0Bh ... P6aFuqFAZw
My Crown V8 2010 rebuild here:
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv19 ... C04730.jpg
Button Groton

Postby pbeck » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:38 pm

Same with you Dave. It was certainly fun although looks like it may end up being costly. Burned thru both header gaskets (minor) and there were definitely some shiney sparklers in the pan when I drained the oil. Cut the filter apart but it didn't show anything. I'll probably drop the oil pan tomorrow and get the bad news. I did talk to a friend that has a repaired 5.3 L, had a piston holed, and he might be willing to part with it. If the crank is damaged, the Ls might be the cheaper way to proceed.
Did the video that Mary shot at Muncie come out ?
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Next

Return to PERFORMANCE