Phil Dally Returning Member Newbie...Sort Of

Statistics and Personal Experiences

Phil Dally Returning Member Newbie...Sort Of

Postby Phil Dally » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:57 am

Howdy All!!! Some of you know me from other forums and around town.

A L/M ADE BBC/PG/QC that I will designate Model D is second on the build list.

Model D because of my last name and my Dad's favorite tractor was his 1939 JD Model D.

My Crown car from the nineties is now owned by a racer named Ed in Florida.

Rick recommended I post what I told him is currently going on with my landspeed project.

"I started out running in production classes where nothing but factory body parts may be used. When I started going faster I felt the need for more safety in an aero package than the stock chin spoiler could provide. I don't know why GM called it a spoiler as it is an air dam. My fastest pass of 148.235 mph at El Mirage in So Cal was run as an F/BGALT car. F is 2-3 liter, B is blown, (no distinction between turbos and blowers) G is gasoline, ALT is the second level of the three levels of aero packages allowed. The new motor will use methanol so I'll run in F/BFALT. Plus I've engineered a Porsche 915 five speed into the car. We will be the first to go to Bonneville with an O/D gears and enough horsepower to pull it.

The speeds I'm looking for are 167 mph at E/M and 187 mph at B/V. They will not be records but will be the fastest ever passes by a stock configuration Corvair. There have been a couple Covairs that have run well past 200 but they all had V8's in them. The 167/187 numbers were run by Ron Cohn in the seventies. Tom Keosababian is in the B/V record book at 173.090 mph. That record was grandfathered into the Classic (1950-80 cars no electronics) category under Gas Coupe...the lower level of aero package. The Cohn records were eliminated when the SCTA-BNI seperated gas and fuel. The records in the classes I'm actually running in are all 250+ mph. That is never going to happen so my goal is to become the worlds fastest Corvair. Although the F/CBFALT number is soft at 135+ mph.

As you can see the rule book is a dominant factor in landspeed. We also have the strictest safety requirements in all of motorsports. As an example I wear a three layer top fuel fire suit just because of the turbo. Right now the plan is to shake down at E/M next May or June and make the 2016 September USFRA B/V event. I don't go to SpeedWeek in August anymore...it's a zoo and a half.

I do have the parts to build a 220 cube Corvair engine. As you know there is no substitute for cubic inches. If a billet cylinder head project ever gets off the ground I will make an attempt at 200 mph. But currently there is no such thing as a modified stock Corvair cylinder head that could support 220 cubes at 8K+ rpm.

Every possible combination of vehicle races in landspeed. From mine to Danny Thompson and his Dad's Challenger II with everything in between. I have a friendly competition going on with my fellow Sidewinder (established 1938) Frank Sloan and his Cosworth Vega. We run just about the same speeds and he is winning right now with a one mph advantage. I invite you to meet us at B/V next Sept. There is only one place in the world you can see and hear a twin big block streamliner going by at 450+ mph. B/V is a car guys bucket list item. There are currently a half dozen 500 mph efforts underway. First one to 500 wins!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paso Robles CA
CORSA Member
Plus 4 Chapters
Sidewinder SCTA
Unsafe at any Landspeed
Angel fan since 1978
HALO POWER BABY!!!
So Cal Gas Co since 1974
Retired After 40 Year Career
I am the proud new owner of
506 cube BBC/PG/QC SuperVair
Phil Dally