Tony Martin - Introduction

Information About New V8 Registry Members Names

Tony Martin - Introduction

Postby Tony Martin » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:19 am

Hi everyone. After a very early start in V8 Corvairs while still in high school in 1969, I kind of drifted away from them for a while for various reasons. (got married, bought a small house with no room for my car, then family and other priorities took over, etc.) Now as I’m nearing retirement, I’ve got the very strong urge to build another one.

I built my original V8 from my first car - a 65 Corsa 180 Turbo. I designed the whole system generally similar to the Crown kit, but I did not use any Crown items, nor did I ever see one - only a couple of pictures from a magazine article. Actually I had never seen another V8 Corvair in person until the CORSA convention showed up in my home town this week. I used a 68 Chevy truck 3 speed and made my own adapter plate to mate to the Corvair posi differential. The engine was a 327 bored .60 over, double hump heads, and a Duntov 097 solid lifter cam - with a properly wicked idle.
I drove it for 15 years and finally sold it.

My goal for this new one is going to have it be identical in appearance to my original car, however it would be based on the C5 diff/Saginaw 4 speed combo this time.
Got lots of questions on several subjects – the framework to support the trans/diff, suspension geometry, cutting the C5 axles, tires/wheels, disk brakes, etc.
I guess if I was able to build my first one all by my self with no experienced advice from anyone, and at only 16 years old, and had it running on the streets in just a couple of months, with no you tube, internet, or forums available for advice – then I guess taking advantage of some of the more “recent experience” available on this forum wouldn’t hurt. ;)
I actually did get some very good advice from two people on my first car. My dad, who did body work for over 40 years and taught me all that I know about body/paint work, and a local drag racer who was also the parts manager in the Chevy dealership where my dad worked. He gave me lots of specific advice on what to do to make a strong and reliable engine.

Pictures of my original car are on my main web page, but I've included a couple pictures of my "new" car - a 67 Monza.
Tony Martin
Independence, Mo.
Tony Martin

Re: Tony Martin - Introduction

Postby Richard Miller » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:29 pm

hello and welcome to the Registry ,, I checked out your member page and I have to say your first effort was very impressive ,, I am sure your new car will be even better with the addition of better funding and years of experience ,, I would like to ask you to be sure to document your work and add it to John Lannings thread under transmissions " C5 Diff to Big Car Saginaw with C5 Rear Suspension " any info you can share will be helpful to all ,, welcome
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Return to NEW V8 REGISTRY MEMBERS