Corvair Olympics Quickly Approaching

Results, Details and Photos From Previous Events - Including The 2015 Knoxville CORSA Convention.

Corvair Olympics Quickly Approaching

Postby Doug Andress » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:40 am

VairKing wrote:I will be there, but with my Corvair powered race car. Hope to see you V8 guys there!

I am following your 3.8 build , it looks really compact ! how is the progress coming lately ? I have a question on your link arm design, is there any design reasons for the unequal length of them , as i see others use almost equal lengths on some v8 builds ?
I know you used the software and it is a great tool , but in a couple of short answers, what is the science behind long and short arms ?
Doug Andress
Madeira Park B.C.
'65 / Turbo Buick V6
325-4l Transaxle, 3.36 ratio
Front mounted radiator
Doug Andress

Re: Corvair Olympics Quickly Approaching

Postby VairKing » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:54 am

The rear suspension is what is known as a SLA suspension, which stands for short long arm. The quick explanation is that the unequal length arms help the rear wheels maintain negative camber as the suspension moves up and down and the body roll puts force against it. When researching on the internet, there is not much published about fabricating your own custom suspension. The racecar guys don't want to share their secrets, and the off road guys who do share their secrets don't really help us with trying to make our cars handle great. The best resource I found was the forums www.locostusa.com/forums/ The Locost guys build Lotus 7 replicas from a variety of starting points, and are happy to share what they have learned building their own suspensions from scratch.
Ryan Counterman
The VairKing!
VairKing

Return to PAST EVENTS