RUST REPAIR

Things Not Related To Listed Forums

RUST REPAIR

Postby Peter Preus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:44 pm

I wanted to share how I was able to rescue the rotted out lower hinge area in my 65 Monza. I made the mistake of storing my project in a shed with a dirt floor. The tin worms had a feast. The first time a poked a screwdriver through the lower door hinge mount my heart sank. It was really bad. Then I remembered what Jackie Howerton said about metal work; if you're really skilled, you can fab big pieces. If you're not so skilled, you have to fab smaller pieces.

Since I'm not so skilled, that's what I did. I figured out where the rot ended in the hinge area, drilled indexing holes to locate the piece, and cut it out. I used crude wood hammer forms to make shapes that I could handle and replaced rotted areas one by one. I fitted the rebuilt piece using the index holes and finished welding. Then welded the piece in where I cut out the spot welds. I have yet to mount the door, but i have no doubt that it will fit. The process was tedious, but not too difficult. The photos tell the story.

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Preus

Re: RUST REPAIR

Postby Rick Andersen » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:02 pm

You are quite the metal man! your work is fantastic.
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Peter Preus » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:20 pm

Rick,
I truly believe most of our members could do this repair if they have access to a welder. It's tedious, but it's not difficult.
Peter Preus

Postby Rick Andersen » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:26 am

In my younger years I used to love to try to weld rusty exhaust sytsems. I just put a reproduction exhaust system on my wife's '56 Bel Air. Without a torch it would have been difficult. Not sure I could have done the artwork that you just created! I am looking forward to your completed work of art!
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Return to OFF TOPIC