Crown style engine intake air flow.

Questions, Comments And Photos Specific To Crown Conversions And / Or Ted Trevor

Crown style engine intake air flow.

Postby WarWagon » Sat May 02, 2015 1:05 pm

For a street/strip/Auto x machine. With engine front cover (seats) and top cover installed, How well or bad does a full original Crown conversion breathe? I have seen most of the full V8Vair race cars utilizing a nice carb hat with twin or single air inlets and tubes running into the rear with air cleaners. Obviously the engine receives cooler intake air drawing in from the rear.
Right now the small block is breathing through a flo pro filter under the stock Crown engine cover. Seems fine to me.
Adam Knoll
Fairmont, W.V.
'65 Corsa 140 turbo DD
'66 Crown V8 Vair 5.3 LS
'66 Buick Riviera GS
'84 Isuzu Impulse Buick 3.8
'84 Buick Regal 3.8 blowthru turbo
'13 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
'19 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3 LT
WarWagon

Re: Crown style engine intake air flow.

Postby Russ » Thu May 07, 2015 7:58 pm

My first V-8 Vair was an original Crown. I did not have any special intake or vents to the carb. It was my driver for 2 years and I never had a problem. I did have to fasten the cover down because it kept floating.
Russ Brandenburg
V8 Registry Founding Father
Russ

Postby WarWagon » Fri May 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Good deal, Just the kind of feedback needed, any kind really. I have not noticed any issues myself but do get curious, I found several air flow holes someone added that are currently blocked off. These are in the partition wall under the back glass on package shelf area.
Adam Knoll
Fairmont, W.V.
'65 Corsa 140 turbo DD
'66 Crown V8 Vair 5.3 LS
'66 Buick Riviera GS
'13 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
WarWagon

Postby Modesto Hargrove » Fri May 08, 2015 11:32 pm

It is possible that the 2 hole covered are the one that lead to the area above the headliner. When these holes are left uncovered it can cause the headliner to inflate while driving with the engine cover in place and windows open.

Doug

Douglas Hargrove
Modesto Hargrove

Postby WarWagon » Tue May 26, 2015 8:09 am

Thanks for that info Doug. I see the two corner access holes your explaining.
I attached a couple pictures of the holes made in my VairImageImage
Adam Knoll
Fairmont, W.V.
'65 Corsa 140 turbo DD
'66 Crown V8 Vair 5.3 LS
'66 Buick Riviera GS
'13 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
WarWagon

Postby Calgary Klassen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:11 am

I had the exact same problem on my Crown car at highway speeds. My headliner inflated and dropped 2-3". I have a fully open rear panel and no headliner in the rear behind my roll bar. I plugged the side channels just in front of my roll bar. Now there is no inflating of the headliner :)

Modesto Hargrove wrote:It is possible that the 2 hole covered are the one that lead to the area above the headliner. When these holes are left uncovered it can cause the headliner to inflate while driving with the engine cover in place and windows open.

Doug

Douglas Hargrove
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Postby Richard Miller » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:46 pm

wow I jumped on the freeway one time and was accelerating up to speed when the headliner just exploded around me ,, it was the original and I thought the stitching had just gotten old ,, now I know I am going to have to plug those holes ,,, good to know!!!!!
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby WarWagon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:29 am

I never looked at the headliner at highway speed before because I'm focused on the road. Recently the one time I did I noticed the liner was in fact inflating! So thanks for that info, I'm going to installed some nice high density foam in those access holes.
Adam Knoll
Fairmont, W.V.
'65 Corsa 140 turbo DD
'66 Crown V8 Vair 5.3 LS
'66 Buick Riviera GS
'13 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
WarWagon

Postby WarWagon » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:36 pm

I have air coming into the car's engine area at speed, it has to be good for engine breathing and heat evacuation. However! Thinking... Well my interior is all Crown parts and I'm not a large ballast at 177lbs so at speeds of 110-115mph the Crown seat will lift up and float with me sitting still driving the car and the windows are down, the engine cover has not moved. I have to fasten, clamp or latch the lower end of the Crown seat to the chassis and not rely on gravity and my weight to hold it down because I will drive this car at these speeds and faster. The first two bows in the headliner are now unhooked from the roof they are both sagging now that I looked at it.
Adam Knoll
Fairmont, W.V.
'65 Corsa 140 turbo DD
'66 Crown V8 Vair 5.3 LS
'66 Buick Riviera GS
'13 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
WarWagon

Postby Richard Miller » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:57 am

so you say " at speeds of 110-115mph the Crown seat will lift up and float with me sitting still driving the car "
that is too funny ,,,
seriously , I got a low pressure manometer and mounted it to dashboard of my V8 ,, and then drove around taking readings of pressure around different spots on the car .
not a great idea , trying to drive and read the instrument ,, but ,,I wanted to know why interior always gets heat from engine ,,
turns out that with windows down interior is lowest pressure area on car , area under car and behind rear window are higher .
Ted Trevor recommended driving with windows up and foot well vents open ,, this will allow air to flow into the interior and out thru engine area..
yeah , I don't like driving with the windows up ..but a little , very little, pressure over a large area like the crown seat cover will generate a lot of force , enough to pick you up .. so the obvious solution is for you to do what the rest of us have done ,,, GAIN WEIGHT ,,
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Next

Return to CROWN CONVERSIONS