Newbie Questions, Round 2

Questions, Comments And Photos Specific To Crown Conversions And / Or Ted Trevor

Newbie Questions, Round 2

Postby Goodman Alabama » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:20 pm

P1040298.JPG
P1040299.JPG
I have some more questions, and will undoubtedly have more! my 65 has a Crown Conversion, but this car has headers that are different from the original crown headers as far as I can tell. They rise up rather than down... see pic. Anyone know anything about these? They appear to be solid, only minor surface rust.
The car also has a "mounting ring" for lack of a better description (see pic) that bolts to the bellhousing, then the locating braces are bolted to that. Anyone seen this before?
The wiring on the car is a mess, other than the front lighting harness. Would it be better to go with a replacement Corvair harness from Clark's or go with a Painless or other brand harness?
After much thought I am pretty likely going to go with a front cooling solution, the previous builder (unknown) attempted a rear cool, but it needs some serious help. Aluminum radiator of course, mounted vertically or angled/tilted forward or backwards? Fan suggestions?
The car also has one of the old GM truck combo brake/clutch master cylinder. At one time it had a separate clutch master, the hole is there. My thought is to go with a dual master conversion setup for now, with a disc conversion in the future, and the separate clutch master. I have a Tilton on my 65 GTO with the hydraulic release bearing.
Comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

John
65 Corsa Crown Coupe
Goodman Alabama

Re: Newbie Questions, Round 2

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:03 pm

I am not familiar with the "ring" around the differential, but otherwise is looks and sounds like an original Crown conversion. The headers appear to be Crown - they do go up over the rear frame assembly and the same of the angle iron straps on the differential. I believe the Crown kit added a 2nd master cylinder for the clutch rather than a dual cylinder assembly as you described, but it's been a long time since I looked at the original kit. In case you weren't aware, we have the drawings and installation instructions for the Crown kit on the V8 Registry web site.
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:20 pm

I stand corrected. My headers do look different than what you have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Andersen
V8 Registry Webmaster
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby pbeck » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:11 pm

I used a new harness that utilized a rear mounted fuse panel. I think it was from American Autowire but will check tomorrow. It came with sufficent length to reach all the way to the front where needed. I used the 22 circuit and changed a number of "outs" in the fuse box to configure it to my application.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Goodman Alabama » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:11 am

Puyallup Andersen wrote:I am not familiar with the "ring" around the differential, but otherwise is looks and sounds like an original Crown conversion. The headers appear to be Crown - they do go up over the rear frame assembly and the same of the angle iron straps on the differential. I believe the Crown kit added a 2nd master cylinder for the clutch rather than a dual cylinder assembly as you described, but it's been a long time since I looked at the original kit. In case you weren't aware, we have the drawings and installation instructions for the Crown kit on the V8 Registry web site.

I actually have a set of instructions I bought in the late 70's... finally getting around to having a Corv8! I see you have a Dedenbear water pump... your opinions? I would like to gain a little more room in the car. I still have to build a cooling system, the car had a rear cooling installation that I just removed.
65 Corsa Crown Coupe
Goodman Alabama

Postby Rick Andersen » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:30 am

I run Dedenbear water pumps on both of my Crown cars. I picked up a few inches of space and they do a great job of keeping the water flowing, although they aren't cheap.
Rick Andersen
V8 Registry Webmaster
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Phil Dally » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:20 pm

I built a heim jointed strut rear mount that circled the differential on my Crown car.

It was cut out so the mount indexed on the diff just like a stock bellhousing.

Really wish I had more pictures of that car...no such thing as cell phones then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paso Robles CA
CORSA Member
Plus 4 Chapters
Sidewinder SCTA
Unsafe at any Landspeed
Angel fan since 1978
HALO POWER BABY!!!
So Cal Gas Co since 1974
Retired After 40 Year Career
I am the proud new owner of
506 cube BBC/PG/QC SuperVair
Phil Dally