Crown axle centerline to block surface dimension

Questions, Comments And Photos Specific To Crown Conversions And / Or Ted Trevor

Crown axle centerline to block surface dimension

Postby Glendale Tester » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:47 am

My son and I are planning a car with a Powerglide/C5 differential and the C5 suspension. I have read that the dimension of the axle centerline to block mounting surface is 22 3/4 inches with the C5. I would like to know what this dimension is for the standard Crown configuration with the Corvair Saginaw and differential.

I am considering moving the rear wheelwells to compensate for the additional length and maybe also move entire engine, trans, and differential rearward to gain more room for the driver. I am already planning to widen the body at rear to use the standard width of the C5 suspension with my son's wheels of choice.

I don't want to create an awkward appearing car by moving the rear wheels too far back, maybe 3 inches. So I would like to figure out how much longer the Powerglide/C5 combination will be compared to the standard Crown.
Bruce Tester
Glendale, Arizona
Glendale Tester

Re: Crown axle centerline to block surface dimension

Postby Rick Andersen » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Bruce,

I just measured the distance from the back of the engine block to the approximate centerline of the side axle shafts with a tape measure. It appear to be somewhere between 20 1/2 to 21 inches. I hope this helps you.
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Glendale Tester » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:34 am

Thank you, Rick. It looks like adding a powerglide with the Corvair differential adds an inch to an inch and a half to the overall length. And the C5 differential adds another inch or so to the length.

I have also noted that Crown cars have the engine centerline shifted to the driver side about an inch and an eighth due to the transmission and pinion gear being offset by that much. The C5 differential however has a centered input and therefore the engine should also be centered.

I am using a Crown subframe as the starting point for my conversion, but it has the driver side offset, so I will be modifying it to center the engine.

By the way, my other car, which is a Kelmark, has the engine shifted toward the passenger side since the transaxle is turned around 180 degrees.
Bruce Tester
Glendale, Arizona
Glendale Tester

Postby Rick Andersen » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:42 pm

I still think the best way for you to pick up legroom is to move the differential mount back while using the C5 constant velocity u-joint driveshafts at an offset angle. The only drawback is that you would have to narrow the frame and suspension in order to keep the length of the side CV driveshafts - or find someone that could lengthen them and leave the frame full width. I am narrowing the frame and suspension to the approximate original Corvair track. Please keep in touch regarding widening of the rear fenders. I agree that it would have a pretty cool effect on the car. I believe the fellow that has experience with widening the fenders is Michael Levique.
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Glendale Tester » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:47 pm

I hear you Rick and like the idea of moving the engine and drive train rearward to gain legroom. The track could then be narrowed as necessary to keep the shafts the original length. I think the wide body would look cool too, but maybe I don't need to widen each side about 2.5 inches to get the look I want, and not changing the rearward location of the wheel wells would look better.

Seems like I should be able to measure and calculate the angles and distances once I get the differential in position.
Bruce Tester
Glendale, Arizona
Glendale Tester

Return to CROWN CONVERSIONS