Engine Removal

Questions, Comments And Photos Specific To Crown Conversions And / Or Ted Trevor

Engine Removal

Postby AKVair » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:19 pm

I am about to take the engine (not the bell housing) out of my Crown Conversion and I would like to verify that the transaxle is stable enough to roll the car around with the engine removed.

Also wondering if there is any particular trick to get the engine out (SBC 283) after I remove the headers and alternator. I dont plan on putting the engine back in so I dont think I need to index anything.
Wiley Wilhelm
Anchorage, Alaska
AKVair

Re: Engine Removal

Postby Rick Andersen » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Wiley,

I am assuming that you have a couple of "torque rods" attached from the chassis to the rear of the differential? If so, I pulled my engine and left the transaxle attached years ago. I was still able to roll the car around on all four wheels. The difficulty may be in mating the replacement engine back up to the transmission input shaft. It's not as big a job to jiggle the transaxle around to get the input shaft through the clutch disc as it is to jiggle the engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby WarWagon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:42 am

I've had to remove and install engines twice within 5 months. On my Crown, I'm able to leave the headers in the car next to the engine then I unbolt the mounts from the engine block and leave them on the subframe, once the bell housing bolts, harmonic balancer, etc are off and out the engine slides forward easily enough on a hoist and then out the passenger door jamb. I remove the carb and get a chain as low as possible on the engine for hoist arm clearance.
Adam Knoll
Fairmont, W.V.
'65 Corsa 140 turbo DD
'66 Crown V8 Vair 5.3 LS
'66 Buick Riviera GS
'84 Isuzu Impulse Buick 3.8
'84 Buick Regal 3.8 blowthru turbo
'13 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
'19 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3 LT
WarWagon

Postby AKVair » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I do have the two nearly vertical stabilizers, but the horizontal one is missing for some reason. It looks like it should be adequate to keep the differential from moving very far.

I don't know much about the history of the car so it will be interesting to see what I have to work with.

My intent is to put a 4.3l v6 (with an electric water pump) in it to gain some leg room (I'm 6'-1") but I think the front cross member of the Crown frame will be in the way. Curious if anyone has successfully shortened a frame or otherwise modified one to accommodate a shorter engine and gain legroom, or if I should look at installing seats over the top of the frame (headroom might be an issue). I have the fiberglass seats, which looks like it could be moved back over the frame with some cutting of the side panels, but I would rather install some real seats.

Wiley
Wiley Wilhelm
Anchorage, Alaska
AKVair

Return to CROWN CONVERSIONS