Crown Frame Geometry

Questions, Comments And Photos Specific To Crown Conversions And / Or Ted Trevor

Crown Frame Geometry

Postby AKVair » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:06 pm

I am thinking about shortening my Crown frame, or building a new one, to move the front cross frame back to get more legroom. I am going to install a 4.3l v6, which I believe moves the motor mounts back about 4 inches.

Can anyone tell me if the standard Crown frame is parallel to the main axis (crankshaft) of the engine when attached to the bell-housing? It doesn't appear to be critical, but shortening the engine mount to bell-housing distance would increase any angle already built into the frame/engine mounts possibly putting a stress on some other transaxle mounting points.

Any feedback appreciated.
Wiley Wilhelm
Anchorage, Alaska
AKVair

Re: Crown Frame Geometry

Postby Rick Andersen » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:15 pm

Wiley,

Considering that in a Crown assembly, the engine block bolts directly to the bellhousing - to the transmission - and to the differential, all of which is in the same geometric plane, I think you could change that angle as much as you need to. If you were to enter a flexible component, such as a driveshaft U-joint, geometry would be a factor. More power to you for picking up some legroom. What kind of an induction system are you looking at for the engine?
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby AKVair » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:00 am

For now it will be normally aspired.

i have a complete stock fuel injected 4.3l engine out of a 2000 Silverado that i intend to put in initially to get things rolling. its rated at 200hp. if that goes well i think that next winter i can add a performance cam and some updated tuning to get a little over 250hp. I'm not sure how spectacular that will be but its probably better that the wheezing 283 that i took out (I never got it running so I don't have a reference point).i know that i need the legroom.

The car looks like it was set up well with some good features (rear sway bar, control arm bracket, quick steering box) but it is in tough cosmetic shape. I can see several years of work ahead but summers are short here and i don't mind the rat-rod look until i can make it nice. Better to have something to drive than not.
Wiley Wilhelm
Anchorage, Alaska
AKVair

Postby Dayton Parkville » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:27 am

I needed some extra legroom in my 65 coupe ( toronado style conversion ). If you move away from the stock gas tank to a fuel cell, you can gain almost 6 inches of extra legroom. I happen to really like the way mine worked out. just another approach to the same problem
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Richard Miller » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:20 am

John ,, legroom is a common complaint .. I imagine a lot of people would be interested in more details ,, just removing the stock fuel tank obviously doesn't gain anything unless you cut out the stock floorboards and the move the pedals ,, how about giving some details here or in another thread on all that is required .new floorboards , relocating pedals ,, I am sure it must be a lot of work ,, which considering pics I have seen of the rest of your car , I am sure is nicely done
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby AKVair » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:12 pm

I am interested in more details.

I have a fuel cell but was wondering where to put it. Not much room in front with the radiator and (eventual) shrouding. Wondered if putting it in the back messed with the weight distribution.
Wiley Wilhelm
Anchorage, Alaska
AKVair

Postby Dayton Parkville » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:13 pm

this is the quickest picture that I could find. We left a small amount of the original floor to act as a dead foot. I have changed away from the Hydraulic pedal to a more realistic hot rod firewall mount pedal. YOu can see how we bent the brake pedal arm so I could fit my big foot :roll: I know I have some pictures of the fuel cell mount and radiator mount................as soon as I find them

film at 11
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:07 pm

I found this a day or so ago. I shot this as I was putting the fuel cell mount into the car. Sort of in the right side of the photo, you can see the added foot room............There are 2 nuts and bolts coming through the panel.............accelerator mount in the foot well

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Return to CROWN CONVERSIONS