crown subframe modification

Questions, Comments And Photos Specific To Crown Conversions And / Or Ted Trevor

crown subframe modification

Postby Louisville Morrison » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:17 pm

I just found this in Bryan Blackwells autocross pages as way to get more legroom with a crown conversion.

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/v8.html
Louisville Morrison

Re: crown subframe modification

Postby Louisville Lanning » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:35 am

This should be a useful solution for potential Crown owners who are tall. Dan, thanks for sharing this information.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Cumming Levine » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:13 am

Not a good idea. If you get in a accident theres nothing keeping the motor from visiting you. My 2nd Crown was made from a V8 that had been involved in a head on collision.
It ripped the rubber mounts apart and the harmonic balancer was planted in the subframe! So if you go this way tether the engine. Mike
Mike Levine
Cumming Levine

Postby Louisville Morrison » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. As we are talking about getting more room in a crown conversion, maybe some of you could share some info. I am a little less than 6' and have a 32" inseam. Is there a way I can configure a crown v8 conversion so that I can drive it in reasonable comfort without going to a v6? Thanks.
Louisville Morrison

Postby Calgary Klassen » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:19 pm

In my Crown I use Porsche 914 seats and I fit pretty good this spring ill be relocating them up and over the cross member I am sure that will help as well the 914 seats are VERY thin and add room just buy there design ill try and post a picture but seems to not want to upload for me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Calgary Klassen on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Postby Cumming Levine » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:25 pm

Im 6 ft and with the Crown seat I had plenty of room, On the car that was in the Crash,I mounted the alternator on top of the intake,used a chevy V8 Monza alt mount.I then Leaned the Cross Member Back,Built the engine cover almost touching the motor and mounted late 68 seats and used the stock seat mounts. Very Comfortable. A very Mild 400 sbc with all rubber mounts,tons of insulation,electric rear windows even put a heater in it. It was really nice! Then I sold it,disappeared in Florida :|
Mike Levine
Cumming Levine

Postby Louisville Morrison » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Thanks to you both. That gives me the info I needed.
Louisville Morrison

Postby Louisville Morrison » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Does anyone have a drawing of the Crown subframe with dimensions that they are willing to share? I think I could figure it out but it would be a lot easier to have a drawing to start from.
Louisville Morrison

Return to CROWN CONVERSIONS