heat, defrost, and maybe even A/C

Upholdstry, Engine Covers, Seats, Door Panels, Firewalls And Windows

Re: heat, defrost, and maybe even A/C

Postby Richard Miller » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:22 pm

I took a look at your member page ,, watched the airflow video ,, really like the hood opening mechanism ,,,I guess the A/C condenser is mounted with the radiator ?
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Modesto Hargrove » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:09 pm

My priority with using a rear mounted radiator was to provide the coolest air and maximum air flow to the radiator. To reduce air flow restrictions and not add heat into the air flow, the AC condenser was mounted on the rear end with is own fans. The attached picture is of the first generation with a single fan. It was upgraded with a larger condenser and dual fans which are controlled by the exit temperature side of the condenser.
I have a total of eight fans, two for the radiator, two for the engine compartment, two for the AC condenser, one for the AC/heater and one to boost air flow when the AC is used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modesto Hargrove

Postby Richard Miller » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:31 am

eight fans ! I once rode with Arch Evans in his roadster ,, don't think he had that many ,, but when he started the car the whirring sound was like a jet engine spooling up.
I saw your total amperage list . wow. so looking at the pics you posted .. thanks ,, big help ,, I see two fans mounted on the rear behind the engine , I see metal mostly intact ,no openings in the bulkhead below the window except where your carburetor air comes in . all pretty tight ,, where is the air to the engine compartment coming from ? just up from the bottom ? and the fans exhaust out the rear ? one thing I like is the way everybody building a V8 corvair does the SAME THING DIFFERENTLY
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Modesto Hargrove » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:36 am

I agree, everybody building a V8 corvair does the SAME THING DIFFERENTLY
Air flow for the engine compartment comes from under the car (bottom) around the gap between the engine and floor panel. An air dam was install on the subfram to assist in moving air into the engine area. The two engine compartment fans are temperature controlled. If the temperature in the compartment rises to 135 degree the fans are turned on low speed exiting the air rearward . If the temperature continues to increase to 165 degree the fans are turned on high speed. The fans can also be turned on manually if desired (great when working on a running engine). I have indicator on the control panel that indicate if the fans are running and I have never seen the indicator indicate the fans are running while I was driving (moving).
The radiator fans are also controlled by temperature and can draw 50 amps on high speed. High speed is not needed driving on the freeway (70+) in 95+ degree weather.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modesto Hargrove

Postby Modesto Hargrove » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:53 am

These pictures show floor panel cut out and engine to floor panel clearance.
Modesto Hargrove

Postby Richard Miller » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:29 pm

very nicely done ,, thanks for the tour
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:11 pm

Doug - That was a great writeup on a fantastic car!

Rick
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Louisville Lanning » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:28 am

I agree with Rick Andersen about Doug's cooling write up. This is what our Forum is all about. If this type of presentation doesn't promote thought and stimulate the imagination, then I'm not sure what does. Thanks Doug for taking the time to present this useful presentation on 'Rear Cooling' for V-8 Conversions.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Previous

Return to INTERIOR