heat, defrost, and maybe even A/C

Upholdstry, Engine Covers, Seats, Door Panels, Firewalls And Windows

heat, defrost, and maybe even A/C

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:27 am

I don't see any discussion of heater or defroster setups.
Much as I might like to, I'm not going to spend the bucks on an aftermarket hot rod system.

- in truth, 'buying a hot rod system' seems like an oxymoron.
For me, 'hot rod' means building it.

Anyway, I'm working on a heater in the rear, intend to duct the hot air to defroster and feet.

What have you-all done?
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Re: heat, defrost, and maybe even A/C

Postby Rick Andersen » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:05 pm

No heater or defroster here.I've never driven the car in the cold!
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby pbeck » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Pretty much like Rick. I've not driven it in "cold weather" but have given defrost some thought after getting caught out on a cool wet night. Lot of condensation on the windows. I have thought about adding a/c but that is waaaaaaayyyyyyy down the road.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby sherwood park rexin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:28 pm

I'm thinking of building a box, or "doghouse" over the rad supply and return pipes where they enter the cabin thru the footwell. The pipes are exposed for about 6". A small fan on top of box than tie into exsisting defrost vent. Not sure if it would generate enough heat but thinking it might work.
Gord
sherwood park rexin

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:29 am

Update:
A while back, I got a blower assembly with control doors - supposedly out of a FC?
No respect - I cut it down to just the blower and the main two-way flapper. I figure it will be nice to have a choice between outside air and recirc, someday when I actually have door windows.
I closed things up, set it up so it tucks into the passenger side of the car with the blower scroll and motor inside the car.

I had a heater core from one of my donor cars (98 Regal) that seemed suitable.
Figured out an enclosure back at the firewall so the fan will blow into a plenum and through the core.
Next step is to close it in and duct the hot air to the front for my feet.

The thing about using the radiator hoses - in cold weather, those don't warm up until the thermostat opens, and still may not get that hot. The heater hoses get water immediately, and they warm up way before the thermostat opens.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:07 am

Update - it works, but it turns out the blower is too feeble to push a lot of air through the heater core - Corvair heater fans didn't have to do that.
I get enough warm air to the front to take the chill off.
Of course, this is SoCal, and it doesn't take that much, except that I don't have side windows.

Anyway - if you decide to do a heater, use the fan/blower out of something water cooled.
Jay Maechtlen
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Richard Miller » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:39 pm

thanks for the info Jay I am currently working on HVAC for my car and was going to tap the radiator pipes at the front because of their proximity to the unit under dash.
sounds like it is worth running hoses back to the engine ,, also have two corvair squirrel cage blowers I was thinking of using ,, so what has a blower with more oomph ?
I looked thru grainger catalog at 12 volt blowers but interesting they are only rated for 130 degrees ... I wonder how close to that I would be getting..
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Modesto Hargrove » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:40 pm

In my Crown conversion I fabricated a heating and cooling unit which was mounted in the engine compartment. I modified the stock heater duct to connect to the fabricated unit. The stock heater controlls are used with the addition of an AC switch. A panel was fabricated with an AC discharge mounted under the dash with control switches. The amount of air flow is restricted due to the size of the air duct coming through the floor. A booster fan is installed behind the dash ducts to increase air flow while the AC is on. The defrost control box under the dash was redesigned to provide three air paths, dash, defrost and floor. The fan speed resistors were changed to match the high flow fan from a Dodge Stratus.
Everything works with the noteable issues, the heater is not as hot as the Corvair( no 300+ degree air from engine) and the AC has limited flow (air duct restriction).

Doug
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modesto Hargrove

Postby Richard Miller » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:09 pm

very nice ,, tight fit on passenger side of engine ,,curious about mounting brackets for engine accessories , did you build those ? I have not seen anything quite like them before ,, looks like compressor on driver side so is that water pump down low on passenger side ? nice job
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Modesto Hargrove » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:15 pm

I did design and build the accessories brackets. The heater / cooler unit is very close to the down run headers. AC compressor is on the driver's side and the water pump is painted blue. I did make a change by moving the alternator to the drivers side below the AC compressor driving the alternator by a belt from the second grove of the compressor. It has been this way for 10,000 miles with no problems. The alternator is 120 amp which I deemed necessary to power the fans used on the rear mounted radiator.
Not pictured is the stainless steel heat shield between the water line and the headers which protects the rubber hoses, works great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modesto Hargrove

Next

Return to INTERIOR