Insulation

Upholdstry, Engine Covers, Seats, Door Panels, Firewalls And Windows

Insulation

Postby Dennis Gauerke » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 am

I have a sheet metal engine cover with 1/2 in aluminum covered insulation. It is still too hot. Does anyone have a recommendation for insulation? Also I have headers similar to crowns. For those that have wrapped theirs, does the wrap deteriorate the headers?
Dennis Gauerke

Re: Insulation

Postby WarWagon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:05 pm

Will need more than 1/2" then, you can double them up for an 1".
If you can afford it, Pyrogel or Aerogel is state of the art for insulation material.
Wrapped headers only rot out If they are mild steel AND get exposed to elements. Isolated wrapped headers will live.
Adam Knoll
Fairmont, W.V.
'65 Corsa 140 turbo DD
'66 Crown V8 Vair 5.3 LS
'66 Buick Riviera GS
'84 Isuzu Impulse Buick 3.8
'84 Buick Regal 3.8 blowthru turbo
'13 Suzuki SX4 6spd AWD
'19 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3 LT
WarWagon

Postby Dayton Parkville » Mon May 04, 2020 5:03 pm

There is an insulation product that would do the job. The product is called Armaflex. It is the black foam that is on your house air conditioner condenser lines. I have the entire inside of my 65 coupe done in it. I used 3M contact cement glue to put it down. You should be able to get it at any home depot
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby sherwood park rexin » Fri May 08, 2020 11:56 am

My firewall and engine cover is aluminum. I used Hushmat Ultra ( it's a very thin sound/vibration/heat shield) than glued a heat shield mat ( can't remember brand, heavy weave covered with alum. foil). With engine cover on I can run all day and, while the firewall is very warm to touch, the cabin is comfortable. With engine cover off I'm dying in 15 minutes lol. I do not have any material overlaid, just bare alum.
sherwood park rexin

Return to INTERIOR