Making them pretty inside

Upholdstry, Engine Covers, Seats, Door Panels, Firewalls And Windows

Making them pretty inside

Postby Dayton Parkville » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:31 pm

I broke the law today. I drove to my garage and worked on my car.
My car has had a gray interior for the last 20 years. Now that it is more sort of muscle car ish, I decided the interior needed to be black.
I did a bunch of searching and reading. I made my decision to use a place in Richmond Va called Autoleatherdye. They make a water based dye product to match most manufacturer colors.

This is what I started with

seat gray.jpg

After 4 coats of the dye, this is what I got. There are a couple of small blips that I need to fix but I am really happy with this

seat black.jpg

The product was easy to work with. I'll post some more pictures when I get the whole thing done. I'm doing the console and the kick panels black as well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Re: Making them pretty inside

Postby Dayton Parkville » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:37 pm

I have now used the product not only on the seats but on the console and the kick panels. This stuff is marvelous so far. So easy to use and cleanup is no problem with the product being water based. I did 4 coats on each piece. The first seat I did with a sponge. I'm sure if you are coordinated the sponge works well...………..for me...…..I ended up using a 2 inch wide x 1/4 inch think natural fiber brush which made it so much easier to do. You do have to watch doing with a brush because you might leave brush strokes. I did each coat in a separate direction...………..BINGO !!!!!

IMG_4289-1 (1).jpg

IMG_4290-1 (1).jpg

I also did the console and the kick pads. The picture is kind of dark but you can get an idea. I added the grab bar more as a joke but I know it will get used

IMG_4288-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:19 pm

The dye job was done. It included the console, the kick pads as well as the seats. I could not be any more happy with the way it turned

newblack interior.jpg

newblack interior1.jpg
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Louisville Lanning » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:50 pm

A friend of mine dyed his Corvair seats and door panels black, but after a short time the color started wearing off from the corner of the seats. Let us know how your seats hold up.
What did those seats come out of? They really look sharp.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Dayton Parkville » Fri May 01, 2020 7:00 am

Louisville Lanning wrote:A friend of mine dyed his Corvair seats and door panels black, but after a short time the color started wearing off from the corner of the seats. Let us know how your seats hold up.
What did those seats come out of? They really look sharp.

I guess time will tell on the dye and how it wears. The seats are ProCar units that have been in the car for almost 20 years. You can get them from Summit Racing and jegs.
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Return to INTERIOR