The Spousal Avoidance Unit

Feel Free To Post Details And / Or Photos On Corvair Conversions Projects That Are Under Way

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:14 am

Well, that looks pretty interesting. How's it run?
- The "couple of hours" comment tickled me - everytime I think that, it takes at least twice as long...
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Dayton Parkville » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Humor runs deep in this project. That "couple of more hours " turned into many many hours which turned into STOP !!!! I threw my arms up and cried uncle. Took the entire setup off the car, and now I am just about finished installing a Holley Sniper EFI. The actual installation is really a piece of cake...……...but as with everything I do, I have to turn it into a science project. Pictures to follow soon
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:23 pm

only piece left is the back window and it is road ready. I am loving the quick easy starting of the EFI unit

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:13 am

I bought this car in 1995...…..Finished it and gave it to my daughter. I get it back and put it in a garage for18 years. I cut it up, put in a V8, wasted a bunch of money on 4 deuces, put a Holley Sniper fuel injection on it...…...Then the CorvaVirus hits and I am in the house for 6 weeks. I did the self quarantine for 2 weeks only to have our governor add 4 more weeks to it...…………………………………………………………….The damn thing is ready to be driven...………...it needs to be driven.

I just wonder if I will ever get to drive it fast enough to scare myself
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sun May 31, 2020 7:23 am

Seems it has graduated from project to driver.
First night out since the lock down .............................................OK !!!! So I am parked in front of a bar !!!! I haven't been in almost 3 months. Where did you expect me to drive my car . :roll:

Some tasty drinks though

first night out.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:28 pm

One of the things I have tried to do while building this project is to tell everyone of my experiences , good and bad. My newest experience is getting the V8vair ready for paint. Since I have never painted a car before, there is a lot to learn. First was equipment. While I have a 160 gallon tank on my compressor, it makes so much moisture that even a couple of water separators could not give me what I wanted so I did some investigation. I bought a turbine unit from TP Tools. Stand alone compressor and matched triple guns. Really a very nice HLVP system. The only control on the compressor is the off / on switch........yeah, blew my mind as well !!!! The next decision was my paint choice. Since I have no experience with anything other than rattle cans, I went with what was supposed to be the easiest stuff to paint.......Lacquer !!!! Since I can buy Dupli Color Paint Shop lacquer paint . I can buy it at just about every Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts so it seemed like the right way to go.
Since I had not painted anything before, I decided to paint my daily driver, a 99 Mazda Miata. There was only minimal body work and it had been red before so I choose Performance red lacquer. It took several coats of primer and red before I finally figured out the guns and the paint. It turns out the Turbine system , while totally moisture free, has a heater built into the output. The air from the hose going into the gun is 103 degrees. Without a bunch of thinning, it hit the car almost completely dry. I finally figured out that the " Already mixed " paint ( 50 /50 ) had to be thinned a bunch. In the end, I mixed the paint 50/50 with acetone. It allowed the paint time to flow out and become smooth. It also cut down on the orange peel I had been experiencing . This picture show the current level of my painting skills.

paint 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:27 pm

primer vair small A.jpg
Turns out it has been a while since I did an update.
Last year, I opened my mouth to help a friend which turned into a 9 1/2 month project. Another short delay before the V8 Vair came to the to of the priorities. I got the garage ready, got the Vair all masked off so today was the first day. This is the first heavy coat of primer. I did this today.
Just wanted to kind of show off
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:21 pm

Today saw the first 2 coats of Championship White. There will be a total of 6 coats of white before we start the next phase…..because I am still not sure as to the color I want

6AAB010C-BFEF-4D80-BB86-903C977FAEF5.jpeg
C72CB20C-23FF-4229-A68D-F45B967D21B2.jpeg
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:30 pm

I did the next couple of coats today. I'm very happy with the way the paint is laying down.

just another update

white.jpg
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:43 pm

Many thanks to Rick Anderson for fixing my posting problem
After getting the car completely into white, I started mixing a specific amount of gold metal flake into clear . Remember, I’m doing this in Dupli Color Paint Shop lacquer. The color of the metal flake is warm beer.

F35C4C2D-9E9F-4D65-A6B5-93F5D6B9BFAC.jpeg
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

PreviousNext

Return to PROJECTS