The Spousal Avoidance Unit

Feel Free To Post Details And / Or Photos On Corvair Conversions Projects That Are Under Way

Re: The Spousal Avoidance Unit

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:33 pm

This past week, I added a scoop to the opening for the radiator. So with the new 8 inch fan and the scoop, the cars runs all day long around 180 to 185 degrees. I think we have come very close to calling the warm temps good bye. To celebrate, I drove it to the first car show it has gone to..........turned a few heads .............seemed to get a lot of comments.....every comment was positive. I have never been asked to start a car up so people could hear it run........happened about 6 times in 4 hours.

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:14 pm

Out of curiosity - It looks like the crossmember just behind the engine is bolted in.
If so, what kind of pads or mounts are you bolting it to?
thx
Jay
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:21 pm

The mounts themselves are built from 2 x 2 1/4 inch wall square tubing with a 1/4 inch plate cap. There is a 1/2 coarse thread bolt sticking up from each mount. The mounts are welded to the frame of the car which is re enforced with 1.4 inch steel plate

The entire engine is bolted in solid. I used 1/2 rubber from a conveyor ( hard as a rock and no give ) at each mount point. There is a stand on each side on the back with 1/2 inch bolts and nyloc nuts

The front uses the same rubber between the mount and the brace

THis link is too the 17 page build thread.........if there is anything else you need, just ask

http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... =33&t=3337
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:02 pm

This weekend I am entering the Corvair in a local car show called The East Coast Nationals. It won't win anything but it will be fun to show off all the hard work.........anyway...........A friend of mine does some pretty outrageous bead rolling and offered to do some " performance " looking door panels and quarter panels for the car. The interior was pretty nice but was all wrong for the V8 version of the car. I went to my friends house tonight and picked up my new panels. I can hardly wait to put them in tomorrow but had to show them off.

The new driver's door panel

in this last shot you can see the console cover sitting above the quarter panel

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:35 pm

John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:49 pm

IMG_0190.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Louisville Lanning » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:05 pm

With regards to John Dayton's new door panels, I agree with Rick Miller. These are really great looking. Can you post some pictures of your car with the panels installed?
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Dayton Parkville » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:32 pm

The door panels have been put on hold while I take care of some other changes. I decided that the radiator should move to the front. It was not overheating but I thought it might be better if it got moved. So while I am cutting out floors and stuff, I end up with a sweet deal on a Flaming River rack and pinion...........you can probably figure out what means. I was at the garage today .....just before leaving, I shot a couple of pictures

more to follow
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Dayton Parkville » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:12 pm

I finally got around to ordering some 1/8 inch wall 1 1/2 dia. aluminum tubing...........along with some silicon covered cushion clamps.

When I got to the garage today, I wasn't really sure how I was going to hang these coolant tubes. After getting a couple of the cushion clamps in place, I remember I had some turnbuckle type nuts which were about 1 inch long. After getting it all in place, it was just a matter of doing some healthy tacks and the rest came together.
This first picture shows where the coolant tubes come out of the tunnel. Getting the hoses to the radiator should be a piece of cake at this point.

This shows where the tubes come out in back. I will shorten these tubes a little but this is pretty much where all will be. The big hole in the floor
( which was the air intake ) will be covered so none of the operation goodies will show. There will be a new Lexan window covering the opening along with the lexan window on top............ :eek: Too much ? I think not

I will have to modify the cover for the tunnel but at this point :tongue: no big deal

This shows the nut that is used to mount the tubes. Still need to finish the welding but it all works as planned :neener:

I haven't been putting in as much time as I want but that is no excuse. Brakes lines and fuel lines ( also filter and pump ) will allow me to finish up the front and move on to the axles
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Louisville Lanning » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:53 am

Your method for hanging coolant lines in the tunnel is simple and effective. With your permission, I plan to use your method when I install new coolant lines through the tunnel to my heater core located under my console. My conversion has rear cooling; so there are no engine coolant lines running through the tunnel for that purpose. However, I do have two rubber coolant hoses running from the engine to my heater core. The thought of one of these hoses springing a leak and saturating my gauges and dash with hot engine coolant has caused me to take a close look at your pictures. Replacing those rubber hoses with stainless lines like yours will provide peace of mind.

Thanks for your posting and presenting a super idea for supporting pipes in the tunnel. This shows the value that this Forum can offer other members when looking for a simple solution to a challenge.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

PreviousNext

Return to PROJECTS