fuel pump adventures

Feel Free To Post Details And / Or Photos On Corvair Conversions Projects That Are Under Way

fuel pump adventures

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Well - driving down to FLAPS to get parts for Boring Buick - and the Toy stalled from 35mph.
Engine shut off like the ignition was cut.
Coasted to the side, and did some troubleshooting.
The fuel pump didn't seem to be running. I jumped the control circuit, and it was still quiet.
Found power all the way to the kill switch - and back out of it.
At that point, it wasn't anything to fix on the side of the road, so called AAA.

Got it up on stands, and checked further - applied power directly to the terminal at the tank - pulls power, but no run.

Ok, so need to drop tank and replace the pump. Can't complain - it came from an old tired donor car, and has been in service since '09.
(I have EFI pump mounted to the standard Corvair fuel pickup. No extra holes in tank.)
Last edited by Maechtlen El Monte on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Re: fuel pump adventures

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Huh - looking at photos from setting it up. looks like I have external ground lead?
I will check that tomorrow. I should probably still check everything over, but maybe I'll get lucky and find an external issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:24 am

Got the tank out a couple of days ago. I removed the fuel pump, and verified that it is bad. Since I will be upgrading to the supercharged motor soon, I'll need more flow than the '87 pump would deliver. I have the fuel tank out of the '98 Regal GS donor car, so I pulled the pump assembly out of it to inspect.

It would be convenient to swap the later fuel pump assembly into the Corvair tank. That would give me the nice engineered reservoir around the pump, dual filter socks, and other nifty features. However, the Regal pump assembly will extend to about 11" in depth - from mounting flange to bottom of tank.
The Corvair tank is more like 14" - Some folks cut a notch out of the top of the tank and put the mounting surface 1 to 2" below the top of the tank.
That would still leave the Buick assembly well off of the tank bottom. I measured the later pump, and it is the same diameter and length as the '87 pump. So, I can use the previous method and sneak it through the stock Corvair opening, if I choose. The fuel hose connection is much larger, so this would be the time to upsize the fuel feed through the tank sender assembly as well.

Oh - gas gauge? Yes, mine showed open circuit electrically. I popped it apart, and looks like it is just a bit crusty. Something about sitting around for over 20 years...
Oddly, the tank itself looks really good inside.
Looks like I might just clean it up and use it - assuming I don't destroy it while installing the larger fuel pipe, etc.
Last edited by Maechtlen El Monte on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Maechtlen
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:39 am

Actually, it looks like Ray Sedman's setup might work with the GM EFI fuel pump module
http://www.american-pi.com/corvair/corvhome.html
http://www.american-pi.com/corvair/imag ... ank_01.jpg

But that's a deep cut, and I have reservations.

Anyone have pics of other EFI fuel pump setups?
Jay Maechtlen
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby pbeck » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Jay,
I switched from an external mounted Holley to an Aeroequip Stealth internal pump. It has an adjustable depth and has an external filter and baffle assembly that maintains fuel to the pump even at low levels. Also pressure adjustable for carbed like mine, to efi such as FAST or MSD. You do have to run a regulator with it and -10AN hose for carb or -6AN for efi. It's a little higher than the good HP Holley but I think the reliability factor is WAY higher.I had to make about a 3.5" hole in the tank and then drill mounting holes but wasn't too bad.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:18 am

outer view.jpg

new and old.jpg

It turns out that the pump from the Regal is bad as well.
I have a pump and strainer on order, should be here tomorrow.
It is supposed to be a Walbro 255 lph in-tank unit. We'll see what actually arrives!

In keeping with the low-budget theme, pump and accessories are about $80 through Amazon.

Still need to bend up the 3/8 tubing and get it welded (or brazed?) into place.
- and rework the pump carrier, a bit better this time.
And get new O-rings and/or gaskets for the electrical pass-throughs, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Maechtlen
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:40 am

oops - I see that I never finished the writeup.
I got the replacement pump and inlet sock. I also got a chunk of 3/8 fuel line to replace the original 5/16 or whatever it was, and proceeded.

new and old.jpg
Jay Maechtlen
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:49 am

more pics

side graph 4 smaller.jpg

inside view bare smaller.jpg
Jay Maechtlen
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:01 am

ip6 012 smaller.jpg

Basic pump

ip6 020 smaller.jpg

Here's one way to grab the thing

ip6 044 smaller.jpg
Jay Maechtlen
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:05 am

ip6 049 smaller.jpg

I used the fuel gauge sender from the 98 Regal donor - prob should have bought a new unit instead.

ip6 056 smaller.jpg
Jay Maechtlen
Maechtlen El Monte

Next

Return to PROJECTS