Throttle Cable

Feel Free To Post Details And / Or Photos On Corvair Conversions Projects That Are Under Way

Throttle Cable

Postby Goodman Alabama » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:12 pm

Looking for suggestions for a replacement throttle cable on my Crown. The existing cable is way too old, binds, sticks, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
John
65 Corsa Crown Coupe
Goodman Alabama

Re: Throttle Cable

Postby pbeck » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 pm

I'm using Morse cables on my throttle and shifter. They're jacketed with threaded ends and work great. Available in a bunch of lengths and can take a pretty drastic bend without binding. Check Summit or Jegs.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Dayton Parkville » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:42 pm

I have a Lokar cable for my accelerator..........works great. They also have a gas pedal that is mounted to the floor like the stock pedal with a cable from the bottom of the pedal
John Dayton
Parkville, Md.
Dayton Parkville

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:10 pm

I cheated - ran a hardware store stranded cable through some small plastic tubing, held the tubing at strategic points with clamps or brackets.
I'm not sure about the plastic - it is bigger than 1/8 drip irrigation tubing. Maybe one size up, possibly pneumatic tubing?
All the official throttle cables looked pricey at >> $100.
This works fine.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:31 pm

For my 'phase two' conversion, I had the donor car's throttle cable, and it reaches to the center of the floor a foot behind the seats. I have the hardware store cable going back and connected to the end of the donor cable, with a shield over it so nothing hangs up. Much better than the old setup.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby sherwood park rexin » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:08 pm

Jay, I replaced my throttle cable this summer. Ran down to the local boat marina and bought an control cable, can't remember the length. Took the old cable with me and they matched it up. Existing ends on old cable fit on the new one, I was back on the road in 15 min.

Gord
sherwood park rexin

Return to PROJECTS