Corvate V.2.0

Feel Free To Post Details And / Or Photos On Corvair Conversions Projects That Are Under Way

Corvate V.2.0

Postby pbeck » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:03 pm

First real road test this afternoon of the re-motored, re-cooled and re-transmissioned Corvate. 10 mile test and the only issue I still need to look at is car. adjustment to correct a part throttle stumble. Everything sounded good and ran great. I think I'm going to like this LS engine, sounds so much smoother than the gen II 350. Didn't really get a good test on the cooling system cause the outside temps were in the low 40s, but at least it didn't overheat.
Next on the list is an electric power steering conversion from Archibald. Waiting on prices and parts list
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Re: Corvate V.2.0

Postby Richard Miller » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:52 pm

beautiful install Paul ,, nice details ,, did you have those headers built ? look to be stainless ? hose routing nicely done ,, I see you didn't forget the nitrous oxide ,, what did you use to adapt to powerglide ? I have seen dished flywheels for early trans to LS ,, then what starter goes with that ? cruise on out for the Rose Parade
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Louisville Lanning » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:47 am

Yes, I agree with Rick Miller. Great attention to detail. I hope that all your transmission issues are solved. Update us when you take it down the track. Anxious to see your 1/4 mile ET.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Button Groton » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:34 pm

Nice job Paul. Hope to see you & car at some events this year.
Dave
David Button
Groton NY
1966 Crown V8 - since 1971.
My YouTube videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCb0Bh ... P6aFuqFAZw
My Crown V8 2010 rebuild here:
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv19 ... C04730.jpg
Button Groton

Postby pbeck » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks all. I didn't do anything on the flywheel except elongate the bolt holes to match up to the torque converter and add a spacer to the end of the crank that fits the snout on the converter. I just used 3/8" washers to space the converter away from the flywheel. Part of my earlier issues with transmission failures was that I spaced the torque converter too far away which caused it to be pushed too deep into the pump and ended up ruining the pump. My transmission builder worked with me and determined the converter needs between 1/8th and 3/16th" end play. Once we got that, no more problems. The headers are stainless, actually built for turbo applications, front outlet. Just flipped them side to side and faced rear. Hoses on front of engine are two coolant inlet and two coolant returns. The lines run up in the floor tunnel under the car along with the steam return tube.
I've been trying to come up with someone fairly close with a chassis dyno to get some carb tuning done, but no one closer that about 150 miles so that may have to wait.
Engine, with the conversions and add ons (cam, different heads with bigger valves and heavier springs) should put put somewhere over 400 hp before nitrous. The sweet thing about these 5.3 engines is that they are very nitrous friendly, up to 200 hp add with no problems so it'll be interesting.
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Doug Andress » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:36 am

He Paul , great work , you have winner on your V. 2.0 Corvate. The detail is show stopper guality . Not being too knowledgable On Chevy V8's ,is it all aluminum ?
Doug Andress
Madeira Park B.C.
'65 / Turbo Buick V6
325-4l Transaxle, 3.36 ratio
Front mounted radiator
Doug Andress

Postby Calgary Klassen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Great looking set up!! I have plans to mate a 5.3 LS to the 4 Speed how does it fit on the front have you noticed any less or more room Ill keep my current Crown set up and build me a second LS car

Ken.
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Postby pbeck » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:40 pm

A couple of answers to previous questions.
Yes, all aluminum engine block and heads. I don't know the weight but I'm thinking in comes in around 100# lighter than the iron block 350.
I actually picked up about 6" of space in front of the engine. I did not change my differential mounting from the previous setup with the 350 and that ended up with the new engine sittling further back. My half shafts actually run at an angle to the hubs, so I could have corrected that but it seemed to work pretty well before so left well enough alone. I only use a single flat belt for the alternator with no engine mounted water pump so there's quite a bit of room.
Recently installed twin gas struts on the rear deck lid and I picked up a new design MSD LS controller and I'm in the middle of getting it installed. The new controller has the capacity to load 5 custom timing tunes as well as 5 (IIRC) preloaded tunes. That will allow a simple rotary switch to change to a nitrous setup with no laptop required. The unit will also record and store data from a previous run but that does require a laptop to read it. One of the big complaints with the MSD controllers is that their timing ramps are awfull. Much too conservative, adding timing early really wakes up the 5.3s. If anyone is looking for information on setting up the 5.3 or any of the other LS engine I recommend LS1Tech. Lots of information there.
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Return to PROJECTS