progress report on Toy's motor/suspension project

Feel Free To Post Details And / Or Photos On Corvair Conversions Projects That Are Under Way

progress report on Toy's motor/suspension project

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:45 am

Well - I've posted in various places, I should include something here-
I've been running my mutant '61 around with what was basically a placeholder engine.
It was just to let me shake other stuff down while I built something with power - maybe a turbo.
The placeholder still runs fine - '87 'Buick' 3.8 with about 200k on it - uses a bit of oil, but oil is cheap.
I actually got it on the street in late 2009.

The replacement motor I settled on is a later rendition of that motor - a 3800 Series II w/factory supercharger, from an '02 Bonneville.
(Stronger internals, better heads, etc, etc. Creeping feature-itis!)
I bought it in - 2012? egad...
I bought a '98 Regal GS with a bad motor, also in 2012. That provided me a subframe and suspension pieces, and lots of other stuff - much of which I didn't expect to need.

Within the last couple of weeks, I've finally gotten it to where I can test run it on the ground. The subframe is on a dolly, and becomes a very suitable test stand.
It lives!
I'll post some pics following, to show what this monster is (so far), and what I plan.

I should be tearing the car down and starting the actual swap later this month.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Re: progress report on Toy's motor/suspension project

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:55 am

The GM fwd cars all used struts, and that gets in the way of body structure and wide tires.
Also, the Toy is a bit narrower than a later car, so the tires tend to stick out the fenders.
So - I narrowed the lower A-arms, and built custom upper control arms to replace the struts.
Yeah, not simple or easy.
here's an early pic - subframe trimmed down, starting to figure out how to build it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:59 am

Well- got it installed and running in time for FBT 2018 - almost. Started out for Palm Springs, had heating issues, turned back.
Tried new water pump, with/without thermostat, various configurations of fill, purge lines, etc. Eventually pulled heads, found lots of cracks that might have been part of the problem.
Got heads, inlet manifold, and supercharger from 04 Grand Prix - In 04, they went to a Gen V Eaton supercharger, more efficient and makes more boost.
(Theoretically I can sell the old one.)
Got it together, still had strange behavior from cooling system - air in motor, strange noises after shutdown.
Struggled some more, eventually decided to run the dumb thing until it fails completely or I figure out the problem.
Made it to the SCC car show in September 2019, then FBT.
Runs fine, makes boost - not massive power on the V8 scale of things, but probbably 260 hp in 2500 pound car - for now, I am pleased. Acts a lot like a n/a 327 with stock cam - great response, lots of torque. 4 speed automatic, overall decent setup.
Jay Maechtlen
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:47 am

To clarify - my comments regarding Corvair structure getting in the way of struts apply to earlys - the lates accept these powertrains very nicely. There are at least two lates with the supercharged GM3800 like mine here in the Los Angeles/Orange County area.
Jay Maechtlen
Maechtlen El Monte

Return to PROJECTS