Updates on the Corvate Ver. 2.0

Feel Free To Post Details And / Or Photos On Corvair Conversions Projects That Are Under Way

Updates on the Corvate Ver. 2.0

Postby pbeck » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Made some changes over the winter. Some are typical maintenance and others are major revamps.
Put a new set of tires on. Stayed with the same Riken Raptors and the same size. Tires weren't too badly worn but were over 7 years old and a couple of those years were in the horrible hot south. Got them from Tire Rack and the price wasn't bad, under $400, and that's one less thing to worry about.

Finally got my rear suspension figured out and repaired. Turns out I was running a rear shock that was 2" too short. Got a longer shock and after a couple of tries got the correct spring rate and now the ride is about as good as I could hope. Also had some issues with a half shaft that came apart at the Convention in Pittsburgh. After some serious checking I decided that the right half shaft was about 1" short. Picked up a replacement shaft on eBay and had Moser cut, respline and cut a new snap ring groove. On a positive note, I am getting much quicker at disassembling those half shafts. Now if I'd been smart enough to center everything in the chassis I would only have to carry one half shaft in case of emergency. And yes, I've given serious thought to taking everything apart and centering it all up............................Maybe the next owner can do that.

Final and most major upgrade was installing a Holly Terminator TBI system. Had to do major upgrades on all the fuel lines and wiring issues (never seems to fail on a midengine conversion). I still need to install a software upgrade in order to use the nitrous system and I need to revise my air filter system. This unit actually sits about 1" higher than the carburetor did so I'm going to have to get creative.

Early thoughts:
Starts much easier and stays running.
Hot restarts are much better.
Much better throttle response !
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Return to PROJECTS