Conversion on Un-Narrowed C5 Chassis

Feel Free To Post Details And / Or Photos On Corvair Conversions Projects That Are Under Way

Conversion on Un-Narrowed C5 Chassis

Postby Louisville Lanning » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:44 am

Had a call earlier this week from Jerry Whitworth in Kearney, MO (near Kansas City) who's building a Corvair Conversion using a C5 chassis that's not narrowed 7 inches. Here's what Jerry had to say along with a few pictures.

John, here are some pictures of the chassis that I have put together. It is all tacked together but not fully welded as yet. I must apologize again for the mess of my shop but it is what it is at the present. This design is very similar to Bob Depaulö‘s chassis, and Bob has provided me with some valuable information. It differs from Bob’s in that the chassis is center spine type frame, rather than widespread frame rails.I am not implying that it is a better design, only that it is different ,in as much as I wanted to create a tunnel down through the center of the car. It also differs from Bob’s and many others in that the cradles are at full C-5 width,again not necessarily better just less work. Also I wanted the wide body fender flares, to create more the look of a race car then of a sleeper. I have not yet purchased the LS 376 Chevy crate motor nor the Gearstar stage 4—-4L 65e transmission to install in the frame, as that is a considerable expense. I have solid Works CAD and have the car drawn up in it, so I know pretty much where everything is going to be positioned. I have been conversing with Aldan American shocks to get the coil overs to put on the chassis. The front coil overs will be C-5 Corvette application. The rears may have to be pushrod , rocker arm system, with the shocks mounted inboard of the frame rails,Much as Phil West has on his Corvair. Well that is a brief synopsis of the progress on my chassis so far. I will try to keep you posted on further progress as it happens. Jerry Whitworth Kearny Missouri
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Re: Conversion on Un-Narrowed C5 Chassis

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:18 am

That is a very impressive build! :D
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible