Radiator

Systems, Types and Experiences

Radiator

Postby ctcarguy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:04 am

The wiring is almost finished on my Crown and next is the cooling system. I'm changing to an electric water pump first. The radiator looks to be from an old chevy truck. Honeycomb fins! Right now it leans backward with air coming in below the bumper and exiting through the floor. I need to change the radiator and I want it to lean forward to allow me to change the air exit through an opening in the hood. I see both single and two pass radiators and think a two pass will be easier to plumb. There will be a 16" electric fan on the backside. Any suggestions? I am going to build a mock up of a 16" high radiator for test fitting.

Larry
Simsbury
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Re: Radiator

Postby Rick Andersen » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:34 am

You might want to contact Chuck Rust. I think Archibald Evans recently made him a new front decklid with an opening for the backside of the radiator.
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Button Groton » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Forward facing is said to be better, look at the newer Corvettes with forward slant radiators. The older Corvettes used rearward slant radiators but that was before wind tunnel testing.
I used a AFCO dual pass radiator from Speedway with their fan and included shroud and it works fine even though mine is slanted rearward. A dual pass radiator puts the inlet and outlet on the same side making running the pipes easier.
Dave
David Button
Groton NY
1966 Crown V8 - since 1971.
My YouTube videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCb0Bh ... P6aFuqFAZw
My Crown V8 2010 rebuild here:
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv19 ... C04730.jpg
Button Groton

Postby ctcarguy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:11 pm

Update:
Removed the Mopar radiator and 2 bladed fan and engineered to put a 16" high Griffin in. I thought it would have to leaned to fit but with a few cuts and some angle metal, the radiator sits upright. The pictures show the old set up and the final mock up. Everything is being painted and sheet metal for directing air through the radiator. Now to figure out how to vent out the hood instead of the bottom.
Larry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby Calgary Klassen » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:12 pm

here is my set up works great ford contour twin fans full over 5000 CFM on high and around 2900 CFM on low

I just need to re seal the wheel wells

ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Postby ctcarguy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:52 pm

Have you felt any lift at high speeds? I had another V8 with the same set up as you have and the enclosure became a lifting air foil. That's why I am considering venting up. I also added hood pins since I had a hood unlock while driving. Bent the hell out of it. Fortunatly, I was not going very fast and could pull over easily. Right now I'm dealing with issues with the pipes and hoses. First the connection pipe that connected 2 hoses blew off. Got a proper replacement with flanges. Then the thermostat housing started to leak after I put in a new thermostat, gasket and gasket sealer. Somehow it did not seat correctly. All of that is fixed and hopefully there will no problems on my 20 mile trip Sunday.
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Postby Louisville Lanning » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:58 pm

Looks like you have received a number of helpful responses. I'm no authority on cooling a Corvair conversion, but here's my comments based on my experience. I should start by saying my cooling system is in the rear; but some things will still apply. I see your pictures and have no experience with what angle is best for the radiator. I used the largest ALUMINUM RACING radiator I could find that fits (31" X 19" x 3" overall) with dual one inch tube cores. It came from Big End Performance. There's a Flexlite 16" S-Blade electric fan mounted to a custom fabricated aluminum shroud that covers the ENTIRE area of the radiator. To me, the shroud is the critical factor. There's not much use installing a 'huge ass' radiator and not taking full advantage of it's cooling capacity.

With front cooling, I'm guessing that you have made enough improvements to see adequate engine cooling, but if you don't, then a shroud covering the entire radiator is probably the next step. Good luck
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Louisville Lanning » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:22 pm

Here's picture of my cooling system
John Lanning
President - V8 Registry
President - Derby City Corvair Club
'65 Corvair / Mid Engine Cadillac Conversion
Louisville Lanning

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:40 am

How about an update - Is the car on the road yet?

A lot of front cool setups I've seen dump hot air out through the wheel wells. I think Chuck was getting a hood set up to vent out the top as well as the fenderwells.
My car has the radiator slanted waaay forward, and vents through hood and wheelwells. Only needs the fan when sitting in traffic on a hot day.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Return to COOLING