Newbie Questions

Systems, Types and Experiences

Newbie Questions

Postby Goodman Alabama » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:29 pm

My car arrived this morning, and ready to start working on this project. I have several questions that I'm hoping I can get a few opinions on.
- jacking... where should I jack the rear of the car from? This is a Crown conversion. Rear lower control arm bracket ok?
- brakes and clutch inoperative right now, the car has a combination Master/clutch master cylinder right now. What application was this originally? The car also has the hole from the original clutch master close to the center of the car. I plan to do a front disc conversion. Any suggestions for sources of kits?
- Pulled the plugs and all looked great, put a little oil in each cylinder to be safe while rolling it into the garage, as it is currently stuck in gear... don't know which gear as of yet, I have not jacked it up! The fact that the engine turns over in gear with no strange noises is definitely encouraging!
- By pulling the top cover off the differential, can I see into it to see if I have the 4 spider conversion?

My old air-cooled Corvairs I jacked up under the differential, but there was an engine also mounted to it! I just want to be safe and not damage anything by jacking it in the wrong place.

I appreciate any advice! This car is also a rear cooled version... not sure what I will do with that as of now, but there was some thought put into the design.

I am listed under the "more" tab, John Goodman.

Thanks in advance!

John
65 Corsa Crown Coupe
Goodman Alabama

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby Calgary Klassen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:04 pm

well right or wrong I jack mine up on the crown lower mount on the diff

the brake master/ clutch set up is an old truck unit probably hard to find now.

I use a willwood master in the middle off a modified stock clutch arm

disc brakes is a no brainer Scare bird brackets

you may or may not be able to tell with the cover off I cant get my fat head up there to look inside haha

as for rear cooling there are some who go to great lengths to make it work but for my dime put it up front use a big OEM Ford fan on the biggest rad you can make fit. that's whats in mine and it runs 180-185 highway or city traffic at 80-90 deg days so in my book it works

congrats on the new car, good luck, post some pics and feel free to email me I don't mind sharing

ken
69 GS 400 Convert
37 Chev 2 DR Sedan street rod
65 Buick Sportwagon
70 Buick Skylark 2 DR HT
69 Corvair powered buggy ( Crown conversion )
66 Corvair Corsa Crown V8 mid engine conversion
SOLD 68 Corvair Monza Kelmark V8 mid engine conversion SOLD
Calgary Klassen

Postby sherwood park rexin » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:02 am

The master is early 60's GM/Chev truck. Replaced mine last year with a new unit, easy to find and reasonable. Good luck with your car and have fun!
Gord
sherwood park rexin

Postby s7s » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:45 am

I had issues overheating so I bought a new fan off Ebay, 16 in dia. 1200 cfm. That was better, about 210 deg. but old radiator started leaking. I replaced the old radiator with a new Griffin aluminum radiator 26"wide x 19"height. Cost of $173 from Summit. Drove it last summer all over in hot weather and NEVER got over 195 deg. normally runs between 185/190 deg. I also tipped the radiator so the hot air can escape better. My dad gave me this car 2 years ago, and he had it since the early 70's and he never got it to cool, but aluminum, the fan, and tipping the radiator works great. I didnt want to reinvent the wheel by moving up front. Picks to show,hopefully helpful. Im replacing all rear bushings this week. One thing at a time that's the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sean Sutorius
Elyria, Ohio
s7s

Postby Modesto Hargrove » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:54 am

I have worked with making a rear radiator work in 100+ degree on the freeway. I did this after a couple of years of real world driving.
My objective was to keep the front trunk and I have meet my goal.
See my info at
http://www.v8registry.com/dougs-mission ... oling.html

Doug

Doug Hargrove
Modesto Hargrove

Postby Glendale TroutmanJr » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:59 pm

John,
You might want to try out the cooling system before spending money moving it. Looks like great deal of work went into that set up.
Glendale TroutmanJr

Return to COOLING