Hood vents

Systems, Types and Experiences

Re: Hood vents

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:15 am

Yeah, some of those vents look great!
When I said "near the front of the hood", I was thinking of at least several inches back from the actual edge. Pretty much like Jim is doing.
It will be fun to see these creations take shape!
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Rick Andersen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Who is "Jim"?
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

Postby Tacoma Svinth » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:57 pm

when I first fabricated my hood, I used the vents from a 2005 Viper hood. As time went on, I was not happy with the amount of air flow so I cut out the louvers and replaced them with a screen. If I were building a new hood, I would make it like the Lotus hood but keep the center ridge for strength. I think that is similar to what Arch and Jim are doing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tacoma Svinth

Postby pbeck » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:52 pm

Roger Boisjolie wrote:If you vent to hood there, doesn't the heat enter through your cowl grill and take the fresh air from your floor vents? Just wondering as I guess it can't be to bad since it's on the stock Camaro's. Where does a new Camaro get it's cabin venting?

That was actually the problem I found with the wheelwell cutouts. The PO had plugged the fresh air intakes and when I got them open I could understand why.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:51 am

I was referring to Jim Hart's post on the first page of this discussion.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby TroutmanJr » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:13 am

Jim,
Where are you on the construction of your hood ? Is ADE making a mode ?
TroutmanJr

Postby Richard Miller » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:57 am

Michael ,, I loved the look of the Viper hood vents ,, sorry to see you had to remove them ,, to get an idea of opening size needed , do you now feel you have adequate air flow ? what is the approximate size of the openings ? I just cut my hood in about the same area and openings are 7 by 12 , times 2 ,, am I in the ballpark ?
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Tacoma Svinth » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Richard,
I do think the air flow is adequate now although I have not been in 90* plus weather since the mod. The intake cutout below the bumper is about 130 sq in. but with the louvers, the outflow was only about 60 sq in because the opening between the louvers was only 3/4 ". Now the outflow is 9x11 each side, so about 200 sq in. minus a little resistance from the screen. I call it my NASCAR look.
Tacoma Svinth

Postby Richard Miller » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:32 pm

very good ,, thanks ,, my inlet viewed straight on is 5 x 33 ,, measured on the angle it is 8 inches,, so 165 head on or actual 264 ,,funnels down to a 24 inch wide radiator ,, core about 18 x 18 ,, I have a copy ,, Clarks reprint ,, of Corv-8 instruction manual ,, don't know author ,, Ted Trevor ?? and it suggests outlet needs to be a third of radiator area ,,, mine is currently 52% of radiator ,, ( 7 x 12 times 2 openings =168 ) so it is equal to headon view or 63 % of true opening .. I appreciate the feed back..
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:31 am

All of these discussions just make me grateful - I guess I was just lucky with my setup.
With the 327, it had a reservoir with at least three hoses going to it - I'll have to dig it out and take a pic.
I don't remember driving it in really hot weather anyway.
With the V6, I still have the huge radiator and lots of airflow - and aside from some experimenting to get the reservoir working right, it has been no problem.

regards
Jay
Jay Maechtlen
Maechtlen El Monte

Previous

Return to COOLING