Hood vents

Systems, Types and Experiences

Re: Hood vents

Postby pbeck » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:13 pm

When my Crown was first built, it used the cooling solution as shown in the manual, ie., cutting out the upper inner front wheelwells. This also required blocking off the cowl vents because some hot air would intrude there. Also the cooling pipes went into the passenger cabin at the front bulkhead, then slanted down the floor and then back thru the tunnel. When I started the redo on my car I decided the cooling lines put entirely too much heat into the cabin. The heat transfer from the pipes would cause the CD player, built into a center console, to malfunction. I closed off the wheelwell openings, opened up about 1/2 the trunk floor and moved the coolant lines out of the cab and they now run through the tunnel. My radiator slants to the rear and is shrouded front and rear so the airflow transfers directly under the car. This allowed the cowl vents to be opened up and access cool air from the front, which is much appreciated. I had some cooling issues last year and decided to do some revisions. I found good used inner fenders, cut out patch panels to butt weld into the fenders. I'm moving up to a 20% larger 3 core radiator with twin cooling fans, new remote Mezire water pump mounted near the radiator and -an lines to and from the engine. All the cooling, water pump and fan operation, will be on an electronic programmable control with a "run on after shut down" feature. I'll get some pictures posted when I get things roughed in, probably a couple of weeks
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Looks good.
The ducts from front should work fine, as well.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Richard Miller » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:03 am

Paul ,, how is that cooling project going ? got some pics for us ?
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Thu May 19, 2016 8:01 pm

Looks good to me- since you will mainly need the fan when sitting still, you will also have minimum heat load then.
(unless you are giving it air conditioning?)
It should cool just fine!
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby pbeck » Fri May 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Richard,
All the new system is mounted, new complete shrouding in place and finished. Still have to run the -an lines back to the engine. That part is the hold up right now. Just finishing updating the new 5.3. Removed the DOD/AFM components, new cam, lifters and timing assembly. Finishing it up with new valve springs and full roller rockers. Going to get the block located in the car tomorrow and get the motor mounts welded in.
I'll try to remember to get some pictures tomorrow. I'm probably the worst at documenting stuff.
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Doug Andress » Sat May 21, 2016 9:48 am

Paul
I am interested in your Meziere water pump install , which unit did you pick ? When you get time, a picture or two would
Be great, you know how much we all love pic's .
Doug Andress
Madeira Park B.C.
'65 / Turbo Buick V6
325-4l Transaxle, 3.36 ratio
Front mounted radiator
Doug Andress

Postby pbeck » Sat May 21, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm using a Mezire WP316S remote pump. It has a single inlet (1 1/2") and dual outlets (3/4"). Should work out well cause the LS has individual inlets on each head. The pump is mounted on the front crossmember and is controlled electronically with a DavisCraig controller which also controls the radiator fans. Air inlet through the grille in the modified front cove as well as under the bumper. The radiator lays back at the top and hot air will exit under the car (basically where the gas tank was located. Really didn't have any cooling issues with the previous system (when it worked right) but I just felt the extra wouldn't hurt. I increased the radiator size by about 20% and went from one fan to two.
I'll try to post a couple of pictures, haven't had much luck in the past. No particular order
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Doug Andress » Sun May 22, 2016 9:51 am

Great pic's Paul , I like your radiator cover shroud , nice detail , is it made of metal ? Also is your fuel tank in the stock location , couldn't tell from your pic's . I see some slant their radiator to the front,do you see any advantage to that ? And one more thing with your Meziere pump (nice unit) will you run two lines for supply to your LS ?
Doug Andress
Madeira Park B.C.
'65 / Turbo Buick V6
325-4l Transaxle, 3.36 ratio
Front mounted radiator
Doug Andress

Postby pbeck » Sun May 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Fuel tank was removed when I got the car. It had a vinyl/plastic fuel cell in the "engine compartment that was in pretty sad shape. I covered over the fuel fill door on the fender and replaced the old fuel cell with a new aluminum unit.
I like the rear leaning radiator at least for this car. The airflow is directed out the bottom. Previously (When I got the car), the hot air exited through the cutouts in the fenders. There was really alot of heat getting into the drivers compartment and the vents were not usable. I build the radiator cover out of aluminum, can't remember the gauge, but it's around 18/20 ga. Fairly stiff, and then riveted to aluminum angle that makes the frame, then dutz (sp) fasteners the keep the lid in place. I will be running 2 -12an lines from the pump to the engine and the 2 more back to the wye and then the radiator. Still haven't completely figured out the steam venting for the ls yet but have some ideas. Motor hung in the car this afternoon and my son is coming out tomorrow to help get some motor mounts welded in. Then finish building the engine............................and on and on and on......................
Paul Beck
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Rick Andersen » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:13 pm

I thought you folks would enjoy seeing some photos of John Black's hood that he sent me. I have also posted them to John's person web page on the V8registry.com web site - http://www.v8registry.com/john--cory-bl ... coupe.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Andersen
Vice President - V8 Registry
V8 Registry Webmaster
'65 Crown V8 Corsa Convertible
Rick Andersen
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to COOLING