Hood vents

Systems, Types and Experiences

Hood vents

Postby TroutmanJr » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:48 am

Has anyone thought about or tiried to use these types of hood vents ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TroutmanJr

Re: Hood vents

Postby pbeck » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:35 pm

Certainly looks interesting and would be a great alternative to the old wheelwell openings for the front mount radiator. Mine is pretty well committed to a lower exit and it works well but still a good idea. I've actually thought about cutting in side "naca" style vents in front of the rear wheelwells to help get engine heat out. Maybe next winter.............
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Roger Boisjolie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:10 pm

If you vent to hood there, doesn't the heat enter through your cowl grill and take the fresh air from your floor vents? Just wondering as I guess it can't be to bad since it's on the stock Camaro's. Where does a new Camaro get it's cabin venting?
Roger Boisjolie
Houston, Tx
'65 Crown V8 Corsa
Roger Boisjolie

Postby Glendale TroutmanJr » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:08 am

Just some more browsing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glendale TroutmanJr

Postby Glendale TroutmanJr » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:09 am

ONE MORE
Glendale TroutmanJr

Postby Glendale TroutmanJr » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:22 am

Here is a Corvette set up
Glendale TroutmanJr

Postby Phil Dally » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:04 am

FYI...there is a new GT40 style Corvair hood design in development by ADE right now.
Paso Robles CA
CORSA Member
Plus 4 Chapters
Sidewinder SCTA
Unsafe at any Landspeed
Angel fan since 1978
HALO POWER BABY!!!
So Cal Gas Co since 1974
Retired After 40 Year Career
I am the proud new owner of
506 cube BBC/PG/QC SuperVair
Phil Dally

Postby TroutmanJr » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:37 pm

That's Arichibald project, right? I talked to him a couple of weeks ago.
TroutmanJr

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:03 am

The pics I've seen show lowest pressure near the front edge of the hood, High near the windshield.
So the vents should be closer to the front for best results.
Don't know about cowl air, that's closed off on mine.
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Postby Redondo Beach Hart » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:32 pm

Maechtlen El Monte wrote:The pics I've seen show lowest pressure near the front edge of the hood, High near the windshield.
So the vents should be closer to the front for best results.
Don't know about cowl air, that's closed off on mine.

ducted.jpg

The hood shown is being developed on my in construction V8 car and will eventually be the plug for a composite unit which Arch will make. It may (or may not) get louvres on top.

Air pressure builds at the cars front and at the windshield with the lowest relative pressure area between. Conventional wisdom (insert grain of salt here) says that the low pressure area on an LM is at the wheel center line, and not on the lower nose of the hood. My duct ends just behind that line and considerably ahead of the air grill and windshield. It's without a doubt MUCH lower pressure than the air hitting the front face and air dam of the car so I'm not expecting any problems ducting out of the vent, and in fact hopefully will get an assist from high speed air crossing the top. The duct shown is above an 18 1/2" x 24" core two-pass double-row aluminum radiator sitting at 25 degrees from horizontal (forward tilt) with full ducting from front air opening to the hood. A fan should never be needed while the car is moving, but I'm putting a 16" one in front (pusher) and NOT running a shroud (which would only restrict air movement at speed). I chose a pusher because a well operating system should not require much fan use, and unless you install flaps in the shroud a rear puller is more restrictive and would not offer as much "flow through" area. Yes, I know pushers aren't quite as effective, but I have no doubts that 444 sq. inches of radiator should do the job!

As noted before, the fresh air inlet wouldn't do much good. I'm blocking that off and routing fresh air from the plenum in front of the radiator down the sides of the trunk and through holes cut in the front bulkhead. Net result is fresh outside air using the factory vents!

Jim Hart
Jim Hart
Redondo Beach, Ca
Redondo Beach Hart

Next

Return to COOLING