What temp is considered too hot?

Systems, Types and Experiences

Re: What temp is considered too hot?

Postby sherwood park rexin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:56 pm

I'll check out the Stewart site, thanks for that info. There is a bleed on the manifold beside the thermostat housing that should bleed the air off on the low pressure side and pump. I'm sure Matt remembers it. If the system worked well for Matt in the Cali heat, I'm thinking it should work up here in the Frozen North. I'm going to try to resolder the overflow nipple and around the joint below the cap on the standpipe, thinking thats why the overflow bottle is full, it won't draw back.
I don't mind running around 200F, just hate leaving large puddles of coolant everywhere. This winter I'll redo my pipes under the car. I'll be reading to see what type and size pipe works best. Keep us informed as to what you are going to use. Thanks again,
Gord
sherwood park rexin

Postby Richard Miller » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:52 pm

hi Gord .. now that I think about it I am pretty sure that your problem is just trapped air ,, picture a side view of car and any where the coolant goes up and back down there is a high spot that can trap air ,, top of radiator ,, high spot of engine (if it is tipped back , angled down toward rear , that should be at front of manifold) .and both pipes where they go over the gas tank ,, now if there is a radiator cap on the radiator and on the stand pipe there is one other consideration ,, crown used to say solder the one on the radiator shut ,, don't know if yours is ,,, the return to engine where it goes over the gastank does not have a bleed as I understand it,,so you can fill at top of radiator , at standpipe and bleed at top of engine ,, but that leaves that one high spot in the line going back and because the pipe dips down the engine bleed wont get it ,, adding a small fitting at that spot will allow you to clear it out , now if you have two radiator caps realize that whichever one has the lowest pressure setting will open first and set system pressure ,, get two different ones say 16 and 22 ,, put the 22 on the lowest spot and the 16 on the highest spot ,, that the high spot will be the one to open and hopefully any air trapped there will bleed out when system pressurizes ,, but here is the important part of having two caps ,, they are not calibrated for when they open (at atmospheric ) as the system cools down ,, recovery may not be at the same cap that opened to let out pressure ,,, so they all must be connected to a recovery tank with coolant in it ,, if possible all to one tank ,, that way all fluid vented will be returned on cool down ,, realize that every time you run the car and the system heats up it will vent fluid ,, and cools down it will want to recover that fluid ,, it breathes in and out with every heat cycle ,, get your leaks fixed ,, the caps set and all connected to a tank ,, and bleed that high spot , you should be good,, and if I am wrong it wont be the first time ,, but good luck ,,waiting to hear that you are successful
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby sherwood park rexin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:05 pm

The caps are 16 on the rad and 18 at the standpipe, not a big difference. I tore the system down this afternoon, lots of corrosion, some missing pieces. Will install a new water pump, and see about getting some pipe bent up. I think I'll stay with 1 3/4" OD pipe. Plan to talk to local rad shop and see what they recommend. Will upgrade hoses also. The standpipe will need to be a new fab up due to corrosion. I'll do new caps also. Any other recommendations? Thanks for all your help.
Gord
sherwood park rexin

Postby Richard Miller » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:39 pm

isn't that the way it is , starts as a small project and just snowballs ,,,
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby sherwood park rexin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:41 pm

Yeah, just when I thought I had the car sorted out!
Gord
sherwood park rexin

Postby sherwood park rexin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Well this custom stuff is just too much fun! Bought new short water pump and some other odds and ends today. I guess the shaft on my old pump was custom as the shaft is 11/16" shorter than the new short pump, now I either get the shaft cut and backing disk repressed fit on or look for a pully that is 11/16" deeper. That could cause clearance issues with the firewall, not sure yet. The desk jockeys at NAPA couldn't find the right rad hoses as I couldn't give them a model of car they came from. Going with a 16# cap on the standpipe and a 20# on the rad. A muffler shop is bending up new pipe. Sure hope everything works out, I just don't have a lot of time to start custom building everything.
Anyone else have that issue with the water pump?
sherwood park rexin

Postby Richard Miller » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:56 pm

minor variations depending on rebuilder ,, but not 11/16 worth ,, I checked spec in edelbrock and speedway catalogs ,, from block face to face of pulley flange both list spec for short water pump as 5 5/8 inches
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Richard Miller » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:26 pm

this from summit racing website :
What's the difference between a Chevy short water pump and a long water pump?

The following information was found in our Edelbrock catalog.
The difference is the length of the hub. Chevrolet used a short water pump on small block passenger car engines from 1955-68, 1969-70 350 Corvettes, and 1955-72 light duty trucks. The dimension from the engine block surface to the water pump hub is 5 5/8". The pilot shaft diameter is 5/8". Long water pumps were used on small block passenger cars engines from 1969-87 and on 1973-86 light duty trucks. The dimension from the block surface to the hub is 6 15/16". The pilot shaft diameter is also 5/8". However, 1971-82 Corvettes have a short water pump with a larger 3/4" pilot shaft. Do not mix and match pulleys from short and long water pump engines because this will cause pulley misalignment. If you can fit your hand between the water pump and the block, You have a long style water pump.

also in the catalog they offer this tip ,, a short pump almost touches the timing cover , if you can put a finger between back of pump and timing cover you have a long pump ..

I find myself wondering if you have a long pump that was modified to make it shorter ?maybe to allow for power steering pump ?
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby sherwood park rexin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:29 pm

The new pump is 5 5/8", old pump just a shade under 5". Back side of v belt pulley is about 3/16 off the face of the pump on the old one. Using same pulley on new pump I'm at 7/8". Kind of throws the alignment out. Don't really want to screw with a new pump. GM part #'s are the same for both pumps.
Gord
sherwood park rexin

Postby Richard Miller » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:02 pm

okay ,, well sorry but there is no fix for that ,, you will just have to give the car to me ... you have a very strange pump there as above info shows ,, maybe original builder modified it ? anyway , looks like there is hope , I am using an edelbrock short pump and I just checked clearance between pulley and pump ,, about 3/16 ,,
so it would seem that you can just change the pulley ,, I am using a single groove aluminum pulley for short pump . don't remember from who ,, but summit and others list them ,, think maybe transdapt sells them , I am sure they are probably made by the millions in china and sold under different names , mine are probably summit.
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

PreviousNext

Return to COOLING