What temp is considered too hot?

Systems, Types and Experiences

Re: What temp is considered too hot?

Postby sherwood park rexin » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:30 pm

Well, another wasted day. Thought we had all figured out, A buddy who owns a shop was going to press fit the flange down farther on the "new" pump from NAPA and cut the shaft as was done to the original. This has to be done because of clearance issues with the firewall, however the new pump (remanufactured ) was missing the bump on the inlet that the hose has to slide over. We call a parts supplier and they have an Edelbrock, so 2.5 hr drive (across the city with construction everywhere), I discover this pump has a higher hub than stock GM. So much for cutting it down. They showed me a couple of other ones but same story.
So back across the city (another 2 hrs) to Napa to return the one I bought and order another. Wait 2 hrs, second pump comes in, same story. Try again tomorrow. In the meantime I had new pipes tabbed up for the cooling lines, picked them up but I got hosed!
I could cut and extend the firewall but Aluminum welders aren't cheap either. I wonder how many builders in the early days modified these pumps. Car had the Crown seats in it but not much for clearance.
Gord
sherwood park rexin

Postby Richard Miller » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:11 am

I had an original crown back around 1970 but don't remember in detail ,, I thought the seat section sloped forward in between the seats and there would have been plenty of room for the pump ,, I remember the alternator being low on driver side and worried about it being right behind my backside . good luck with the pump I have never seen one shortened like that
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Richard Miller » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:15 am

you might be interested in this link :

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre ... mp.846137/

the firm sited , GEM , is local to me , couple of miles , but all I have seen him advertise is seat belts
but thread says shorter 1 groove water pump , about 3/4 inch (11/16 's ?) and phone number is listed
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Richard Miller » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:27 am

and here is website , tho' like thread says no mention of short short pump

http://www.gemstreetrods.com/Pulleys.htm
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby sherwood park rexin » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:56 pm

An update. Long story short, I bought a short pump from Cardone, found a Ford WP pulley 2 3/4" deep and 6.25 dia, had the pump flange pressed 3/32th of an inch, tore the interior apart and replaced tubes and hoses. I have no clearance on my insulation on the firewall but everything works and lines up. Car ran between 170, 185 with the engine cover off ( bloody hot in the cabin), tomorrow will see how hot it gets with the cover in place.
Gord
sherwood park rexin

Postby Richard Miller » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:28 am

sounds like progress ,, good
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby pbeck » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:38 pm

My initial 350 setup had a front mount radiator laid back at the top with airflow exiting out through the area where the fuel tank was located. I had a single 16" electric puller fan. The radiator was shrouded front and rear and the fan was shrouded as well. Air intake was a grille cut out in the cove and under the bumper. I used a 50 gpm electric water pump and routed the hoses through the tunnel. I did try a wicker bill at the front of the Crown frame to try to pull heat out of the engine compartment but it made loading the car on a trailer almost impossible. I took the car on the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2012 down to Arlington, TX. Temps were in the high 90s/low 100s and the car never went over 220. Best thing I can think of is get the hot air away from the radiator. Also forgot to add, the electric water pump makes it easy to get all the air out of the sustem, just need to apply power and ground and let it circulate.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby Richard Miller » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:47 am

Paul , in one of your posts you said " with dual fans and with electronic controls on the water pump and fans. " describing your new LS cooling system .. just wondering how your new system is working out ?? speed control on an electric pump would seem like an ideal way to control temp . what is your experience so far ?
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby pbeck » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Richard,
Can't give you any information yet. I've had the car shop running and drove it about 600 ft. twice but big issues with the transmission. Powerglide. I think it lost a seal and we didn't catch it and low fluid flow caused the front trans. pump to fail.Pump was scored pretty badly. I pulled it did a total rebuild and it's back in the car. I've still got about a day's worth of work to get it on the road. Now all I need is a day off, just started field work for my neighbor farmer and that will continue till we get a rain break.
I will post some results when I get them.
Paul Beck
65 Monza Crown Conversion
V8Registry, Treasurer
CORSA
PCCA
pbeck

Postby sherwood park rexin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Finally bought a new aluminum rad with a dual fan that moves 6000scf from Flex a Lite ( Part# 58295). Old rad is starting to weep so kinda made sense. Another issue I've become aware off is with most the inner fenders cut out, at highway speeds the air pressure is actually restricting air flow thru the rad. Since the trunk floor is also missing, for now I plan to duct the rad down and out the floor but at this time leave the inner wheel wells as they are. Any thoughts or reasons why this might not work? I'll hunt around for inner fenders to eventually do the repair. I think I will end up wrapping the headers also. Will still have an issue with very little air flow over the block but hoping this will work.
Gord
sherwood park rexin

PreviousNext

Return to COOLING