Your thoughts on my project

Systems, Types and Experiences

Your thoughts on my project

Postby Bob Bauer » Sun May 20, 2018 6:01 pm

I am running all new exhaust pipe [steel] from the block to the radiator. When I purchased the car, the old stuff was plenty rusty and nasty.

Copper and stainless is out of the question so I will use what I got.

My question.....................do you think POR-15 applied to the inside of the pipe will stop it from rusting.

Yes, it will have to be applied correctly, but is this stuff as solid as they say.

It is hard, and POR says it will withstand the heat., so........... what say you.
Bob Bauer
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown conversion
House Springs, Missouri
Show Me Corvair Club
Bob Bauer

Re: Your thoughts on my project

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Mon May 21, 2018 10:03 am

I guess, in theory, it would.
Getting the stuff applied should be a good trick, but seems possible.
Curved pieces would be the toughest to coat well.

Actually, some of the water lines in my car were from the V8 installation in the early 70's, still working ok.
(Exhaust tubing or similar)
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Re: Your thoughts on my project

Postby Bob Bauer » Mon May 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Well, here is how I thought it would go.

I bought the "kit" that POR-15 suggested. It has their cleaner/degreaser and metal etch and black por-15

I was going to block one end, pour it through [slosh it back and forth and then drain, and repeat for all pipes.

then do the same with the etch and then the paint. I am thinking it should coat evenly and thoroughly.

POR said, that if I should fail, and leave metal exposed, the paint/epoxy might peel off and then block some of the fins in the radiator.

So if I take my time and do it well, I am thinking it should work. They said it was good for up to 450 degrees.
Bob Bauer
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown conversion
House Springs, Missouri
Show Me Corvair Club
Bob Bauer

Return to COOLING