Vertical Radiator

Systems, Types and Experiences

Vertical Radiator

Postby ctcarguy » Fri May 25, 2018 5:22 pm

I mounted my radiator vertically and closed in the sides and top with sheet metal. I do have temperature problems in traffic or on the highway. I can get to 220F at the engine but the coolant from the radiator is less than 190F. I have a sender in the return hose. Being that it is vertical, do you think I'm not getting air at the top? I do have a shroud that is 1" offset from the radiator and a 16" fan with variable speed control.

As an experiment, I mounted 2 bilge blowers in front of the radiator at the top to see it it makes a difference. I don't plan on keeping them there because they are noisy. The air exits through the bottom of the trunk. Would tilting it help? I have a high mounted expansion tank and electric water pump. I will test it in 2 days going 50 miles to a show if the weather holds but the forecast calls for high in the mid 60's so it may not be a good test.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Larry Boardman
Weatogue, Connecticut
ctcarguy

Re: Vertical Radiator

Postby Goodman Alabama » Fri May 25, 2018 8:21 pm

I am very interested to follow this thread. I have an aluminum dual pass radiator also mounted vertically with a custom full shroud and a (I think) 19" fan. I am running an Deadenbear electric pump with a Davies Craig digital controller. The radiator is in a fully enclosed shroud with the trunk floor removed. I am still completing paint work and re-assembly, and hoping that this should eliminate any cooling issues. Keeping my fingers crossed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
65 Corsa Crown Coupe
Goodman Alabama

Postby Richard Miller » Sat May 26, 2018 1:12 pm

in photo posted above by GOODMAN ALABAMA ,,at top edge of photo , center ,, just to left of wiper motor , notice two holes in metal work below trunk edge , one rectangular and below a round one ,,I believe these holes open to the air feeding into car thru footwell vent ,, if you have hot air in the trunk from radiator it can enter interior thru them ,, I made a simple rectangle of sheetmetal and used the existing screw hole to secure it to block that
Richard Miller
West Covina, Ca
'65 V8 Vair
Richard Miller

Postby Goodman Alabama » Sun May 27, 2018 5:01 pm

I never thought about that... I do know one hole was for the blower resistor, and the other possibly for the antenna lead? I just went out and looked, and sure enough they open into the plenum area. That's why I hang out here with all the smart people.

Thanks for the tip, a cover plate will be made!
65 Corsa Crown Coupe
Goodman Alabama

Postby Maechtlen El Monte » Mon May 28, 2018 2:14 am

I doubt that it matters much if the radiator is upright or tilted over - but the air has to get in and has to get out.
If you are dumping under the car, is there enough clearance for the air to really get out?
A flexible air dam under the radiator (maybe a big "V" to sweep air to the sides) to suck air out of the radiator might do some good?
(flexible 'cause you know you'd drag it on stuff)

The classic air dam under the nose might be far enough away from the radiator to not do what you need. A second one right under it?
fwiw
Jay
Jay Maechtlen
1961 coupe, custom fiberglass skin. Buick 3.8 V-6, automatic (transverse mid-engine)
Maechtlen El Monte

Return to COOLING